Calling the 'Gendered Language' Few (1 Viewer)

pinksugar

lol. I am! I'm resorting to cutting her essay into bits using a dictionary to understand each point, and rewriting it in language I can understand... :(

saz

OK i have a quick question.... when u guys discuss Tannen in ur essays, do u use her theories etc as a basis for the other texts rather than actually discussing Tannens text in detail??

Say for example how Tannen says that women seek connection... then going to Elizabeth and discussing a scene or conversation where this is evident? Or do u talk about Tannen as a text by itself and how Tannen herself uses gendered language in her text?

If only all these concepts made sense in my head......... :(

tegs

I generally talk about tannens ideas, use her anecdotal evidence and then link it in to the other texts. I find I use Twelfth Night heaps more than Elizabeth. Seems much more relavent.
And we didn't get a single exemplar essay. What the hells the go with that?

blah says she

blah. blah. blah.
HSC
My teacher said you use Tannen as the basics and then build on it, my approach is like tegs.

saz

Ok thanks.... :D

i was just checking cause um our teacher has no idea about gendered language and i was worried i was doing it the complete wrong way...

that creative bit will be the death of me i swear

blah says she

blah. blah. blah.
HSC
hahaha me too, dont worry! i really should've started "studying" earlier for this exam. oh well, last exam! :D

Katgurl

Why does everyone seem to think this course is a feminist course??? Just because the book was written by a woman and it discusses the differences in language between men and women doesn't mean you have to be a bra-burning, dominatrix luvin power chick to read the book.
If the exemplar answer you got was from the 2002 standards package, i agree, it was rubbish, hardly any of the gendered language that tannen talked about and just a lot of big ugly words.

(P.S. the depiction of Catwoman in leather suggests the subjection of women for the sexual gratification of men - but hey i wore vinyl in the school musical so who am i to talk)

blah says she

blah. blah. blah.
HSC
But some feminists aren't like that... *thinks of Germaine Greer and her new book on adolescent boys* hehe. Taking this course has made me aware of how language fails women and it makes me annoyed grrr :chainsaw:

saz

The guys in my class certainly took it that way... any lesson where we actually attempteed to work was filled with the whining men complaining about how they have to study Tannen and her 'male-hating' attitude... well thats how they took it... quite interesting to have a class full of girls (including a female teacher) and 3 boys.... had some funny times :)

anyway: Did any of u guys do the CSSA trial this year? coz i have a q.... in the question for the module i think it was a book launch or something where u had to write an introduction and incorporate ur texts also. Most of our class wrote a standard introduction, i.e. not a 'story' as such cause thats not wat the question asked. BUt when we got the papers back our teacher said u should do a 'creative' piece for this q, i.e. in a story form.... i was just interested to see how other schools got marked for it??? Knowing my luck noone did the CSSA trial.... grr gendered language grrr

The Chad

Of course its a feminist course. But its seems like you are using the 'radical feminist' definition... its funny that as a guy I see catwoman as empowering, yet you see her as a symbol of the exploitation of women. Seems that since i'm a guy I should keep my big mouth shut, my interpretations don't mean zip anyways, just like John Gray's...

ah only 12 hours to go, i should sleep. I don't know about you guys, but since theres such a small number of us gendered languagers, it would be silly of me to help and give advice. But are you asking for advice? Or just rapport? In any case, the test is tomorrow, and its my last, so i'll see you guys (ok ok and gals) on the honour roll for extension.

Bon Chance!

tegs

I don't see it as a feminist course. Tannen is a woman so of course it's going to be biased that way. However it's incredibly easy to argue it either way. And really you dont have to argue it at all if u dont want to. Just present the facts and how the language relates to values. U dont have to take sides.

The Chad

A proverb I used in powerplay goes something like "power, whatever its form, will not be given up without struggle". Now, the way I see it is that man-kind will not delve into analysing how patriarchal ideals are inherent in our language since it would only undermine their dominance. Its not man's problem really, gendered language keeps them in power, active and associated with all those values. That's why I think its a feminist course. It's aimed at equalising language and gender, which is the vital feminist goal.

blah says she

blah. blah. blah.
HSC
The Chad - well said!

I think it's cool some guys did Gendered Language too, we can all now learn how to accommodate for each other's genderlect and maybe change the world! :p :rolleyes:

radish

singapore student

hey guys, i'm from the aussie international <a href="http://www.ntsearch.com/search.php?q=school&v=56">school</a> in singapore and doing gendered language in english ext 1. we have a class of 5 girls (classes up here are pretty small) and have no idea how many NSW students are doing gendered language, or how you guys are <a href="http://www.ntsearch.com/search.php?q=learning&v=56">learning</a> it sorta thing... if anyone wants to fill us in, like just kinda what your class is doing with the gendered language, any related texts you guys might usingm, your definitions.. whatever.. send us an <a href="http://www.ntsearch.com/search.php?q=email&v=56">email</a> cos it'd be really appreciated cos yeah we're pretty isolated from aussie study life over here! plus my teacher is hell keen on making <a href="http://www.ntsearch.com/search.php?q=contact&v=56">contact</a> with other teachers doing gendered language so yeah if anyone's teacher is up for a teacher to teacher <a href="http://www.ntsearch.com/search.php?q=email&v=56">email</a> sorta thing, let us know ay..
thanks all!

radish

oops

oh n sorry bout if theres weird html stuff in the last post.. computer issues..

molly91

HSC
Golly goodness me..
"The Chad" has got to be "The Chad" that Mrs Newton keeps talking about..
HAHA.
I'm doing Gendered Language for HSC '08 and I think it's great. So long as you do the work, the concepts are sooooooo easy to grasp!
And fully, yeah, I analyse everyone as they talk, and experiment with talking more like a boy. lol
Anyway, I just thought it was kind of random. We're getting heaps of your old essays Chad, if you are the Chad from Ulladulla High.
Read your Extension 2 as well, and it was excellent!

molly91

HSC
The Chad said:
That's why I think its a feminist course. It's aimed at equalising language and gender, which is the vital feminist goal.
Hmmmm. I read a quote that went something along the lines of:
"Only a completely undetermined woman would simply aim to be equal to men and not completely superior"

It's a thought.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)