Bitch of an assesment! Please help! (1 Viewer)

floydo

HSC
Hey, so our class has been given a 'research task' on this:

“Evaluate the mechanisms for resolving conflict and encouraging cooperation in relation to family and the law.”

I know what it means, in terms of mechanisms, which are things like the family court, etc. And i have no trouble describing them. It's just when I have to evaluate their effectiveness in resolving conflict that I get stuck. Where can I find simple information about changes and the effectiveness of the family court, children's court, Federal magistrates service and primary dispute resolution? If you could help me out it would be much appreciated. Thanks.

enoilgam

HSC
With this kind of question, you arent really going to find the answers in a book or written down for you. This essay requires you to use what you have learned to form an opinion on effectiveness. For instance, the Family Law reform act 1995 places greater responsibility on parents for resolving parental care issues post divorce. As a result, the family court provides more mechanisms for parents to facilitate an agreement (i.e. mediation concilliation etc). So you could argue in this sense, the law has been effective in encouraging greater co-operation, as it has moved away from court decided and imposed orders to self made parental plans. However, the court has shown greater reluctance to intervene in enforcing these plans - so in this sense, the law has been ineffective in encouraging co-operation and resolving conflict because it is essentially not dealing with non-compliance.

floydo

HSC
With this kind of question, you arent really going to find the answers in a book or written down for you. This essay requires you to use what you have learned to form an opinion on effectiveness. For instance, the Family Law reform act 1995 places greater responsibility on parents for resolving parental care issues post divorce. As a result, the family court provides more mechanisms for parents to facilitate an agreement (i.e. mediation concilliation etc). So you could argue in this sense, the law has been effective in encouraging greater co-operation, as it has moved away from court decided and imposed orders to self made parental plans. However, the court has shown greater reluctance to intervene in enforcing these plans - so in this sense, the law has been ineffective in encouraging co-operation and resolving conflict because it is essentially not dealing with non-compliance.
Thanks for responding! Yeah It is a lot harder because the textbook cant help you here, so you have to dig up the stuff yourself which is what I have been trying to do. I was making no progress, but im starting to find more information because I started using Google Scholar which takes me straight to the government reviews and things like that. So I'm slowly making progress. Anyway, when I finish the essay I will post it up, because I know I would appreciate it if someone did that before me. Although it is a bit of a unique question.. But oh well.

enoilgam

HSC
Although it is a bit of a unique question.. But oh well.
I'm pretty sure that this question was taken from the 2010 CSSA trial HSC paper (I'm almost positive that this is the q I did for the family topic).

enoilgam

HSC
It couldn't have been, my teacher has been using it for over 10 years.
It was on the 2010 paper - just double checked it now. Its a pretty generic question though so I wouldnt be suprised if it has been around before.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)