Biology Exam Thoughts (1 Viewer)

大きい男

HSC
I suppose B and C are both innate, although the question specifies innate response, so surely phagocytes is correct because stomach acid isn't produced in response to a pathogen?

worldno17

HSC
N/A
I suppose B and C are both innate, although the question specifies innate response, so surely phagocytes is correct because stomach acid isn't produced in response to a pathogen?
Yep, I agree. It'd only be a response if the concentration of acid changes or smthin, which isn't the case here.

Also, aren't phagocytes part of the 2nd line? That's innate too...so I think phagocytes should be correct here.

Last edited:

fet

HSC
Yep, I agree. It'd only be a response if the concentration of acid changes or smthin, which isn't the case here.

Also, aren't phagocytes part of the 2nd line? That's innate too...so I think phagocytes should be correct here.
yes but phagocytes are also part of 3rd line (after antibodies immobilise the antigen, phagocytes come and destroy the pathogen right). there's no grey area with stomach acid, it can only be 1st line. it's the pH of stomach acid that's relevant to the immune response (also some antimicrobial enzymes) which doesn't vary or anything, if that's a concern
also the word 'response' applies to stomach acid because the acid doesn't just exist it has to be secreted from the stomach walls after someone eats etc. so there is secreting action involved and I guess this satisfies the definition of 'response' or 'reaction'.
I could be wrong, I just think that phagocytes is an ambiguous option

worldno17

HSC
N/A
yes but phagocytes are also part of 3rd line (after antibodies immobilise the antigen, phagocytes come and destroy the pathogen right). there's no grey area with stomach acid, it can only be 1st line. it's the pH of stomach acid that's relevant to the immune response (also some antimicrobial enzymes) which doesn't vary or anything, if that's a concern
also the word 'response' applies to stomach acid because the acid doesn't just exist it has to be secreted from the stomach walls after someone eats etc. so there is secreting action involved and I guess this satisfies the definition of 'response' or 'reaction'.
I could be wrong, I just think that phagocytes is an ambiguous option
Phagocytes are innate though, meaning that they don't differentiate between pathogens. The question didn't ask for the lines of defence - just for an innate immune response (a quick google search will show that phagocytes are innate). Stomach acid is present even when you don't eat btw, so it's not exactly an immune *response*. Response implies that there's some sort of cause and effect relationship.

We can just wait for the official answers, I guess.

fet

HSC
Phagocytes are innate though, meaning that they don't differentiate between pathogens. The question didn't ask for the lines of defence - just for an innate immune response (a quick google search will show that phagocytes are innate). Stomach acid is present even when you don't eat btw, so it's not exactly an immune *response*. Response implies that there's some sort of cause and effect relationship.

We can just wait for the official answers, I guess.
yea ok we should just wait lol

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)