Biochemistry/Microbiology Challenge Question. (1 Viewer)

Survivor39

Premium Member
HSC
For biochemistry lover:

1. After vigorous excercise or running, why do you tend to stop and cannot continue? Answer from a biochemical perspective. (hint: What happens in your metabolism?)

For microbiology lover:

2. Why do you add lemon to seafood?

3. How do antibiotics work? How do they target bacteria but not human cells??

For anatomy lover:

4. How many layers made up your skin (epidermis)? Does this also means when you undergo abrasion from daily activity, living cells are being sloughed off? Explain.

Last edited:

+Po1ntDeXt3r+

HSC
i wont spoil it
hehe they were interesting.. i did them from memory.. and its late..
so they arent right :)

are we talkin lactic acid build up.. and all that hoo-ha from the krebs cycle etc?

umm acidity/pH is the main defence in ure innate immunity ... why not on ure food :D?.. it hides the fishy taste and does sumfing to certain parts of the bacterial wall causing cellular damage.. ..

antibiotics - 3 things.. i kno this one.. off by heart.. cell wall integrity, protein synthesis and DNA replication.. and human cells dun have cell walls of pepticoglycan ( or any actualli) ..

sigh.. stratified squamous epithelium.. cant realli say tats a layer.. sorri.. but wat do u mean? all i can think is epidermis with a dermis under that...
yes it sloughes off and its a component of dust :)

Survivor39

Premium Member
HSC
Dammit point! they are meant for HSC biololgy people :p

Survivor39

Premium Member
HSC
LOL. I just read your answers point. It's not bad, but it just shows that science students actually learn more science than med students. But then again, you guys are focusing more on patient relationship and stuff. That's why I chose science. I actually WANT to learn science!

Note to point:
Stratified squamous epithelium is not a layer. It is simply a classification of types of epithelium e.g simple columnar/squamous/cuboidal. I am asking for the layers of the epidermis. But I won't spoil the fun for bright HSC biology students. I'll give out the answers later.

+Po1ntDeXt3r+

HSC
actualli the worse part is tat ive completed accelerated 3rd yr mircobio and immuno recently.. im in both med and sci :p dun start me.. the number of all those damn interleukins to activate T helper 1,2 cells are still tattooed to my head .

//edit: i get :) ure werid ass question... tats a lil obscure for me even... ure as confusin as my immunology tutor...

Last edited:

+Po1ntDeXt3r+

HSC
OMG i kno wat u meant.. S.C ,S.L ,S.Gran, S.S, S.Ger ... cmon.. tats hard to remember let alone yr 12 kids!? unless their parents are dermatologist.. havent talked about those since med bio bridging :S in yr 1!

Survivor39

Premium Member
HSC
blah med people :D My anatomy question wasn't confusing... May be you should have had more histology lectures :D

Yes you're right. actually.... thick and thin skin are different. Those layers were thick skin layers. :) Thin skin does not have S.L.

Ok enough of you... I'm sure some bright year 12 people will know it. :D

+Po1ntDeXt3r+

HSC
I kno but i was afraid if i forgot to mention S.L ud accuse me of dumbing down science :p technically u didnt ask about thick or thin... so i answered assuming the layers of epidermis :)

Ok i well say they are good questions..
Oh Heres a question :)...

this is more Medical.. sorry its interesting :) and bio-y.. should be easier

If you have low oxygen you get a condition called cyanosis where ure lips and stuff (like fingers or toes) turn blue.
Why is it in anaemia you look pale (and everything looks pale) and not blue, when anaemia is about low oxygen to tissue too?

Survivor39

Premium Member
HSC
+Po1ntDeXt3r+ said:
I kno but i was afraid if i forgot to mention S.L ud accuse me of dumbing down science :p technically u didnt ask about thick or thin... so i answered assuming the layers of epidermis :)
whatever :D And plus I didn't ask for names of each layer. I just asked how many. And whether living cells are rubbed off from daily activity.

+Po1ntDeXt3r+ said:
Ok i well say they are good questions..
Thanks

+Po1ntDeXt3r+ said:
this is more Medical.. sorry its interesting :) and bio-y.. should be easier

If you have low oxygen you get a condition called cyanosis where ure lips and stuff (like fingers or toes) turn blue.
Why is it in anaemia you look pale (and everything looks pale) and not blue, when anaemia is about low oxygen to tissue too?
Hey! This is not the medical forum! :p

anyway. The only thing i can think of is anaemia is a result of lack of the number of circulating RBC. Hence you look pale.
Whereas in cyanosis is due to the lack of oxygen in RBC, causing blue colour because of deoxygenated blood.

Survivor39

Premium Member
HSC
suger_plum said:
Why Do You Add Lemon To Seafood?
Hint: remember your biology practical on enzyme activity? What happens to the enzyme activity when you alter the pH?

Did I practically gave the answer away?!! :(

Survivor39

Premium Member
HSC
Oh point, lactic acid don't derive from kreb cycle :D *coughs* It's from the products of glycolysis - pyruvate.

nit

HSC
haha, one semester of concepts in biology 1001 and I'm on my way to becoming biologist! Hmm, yeh lactic acid results from the fermentation of pyruvate mainly in animal cells. That whole cycling idea of NAD while producing ATP is really neat. Talk about efficiency.

+Po1ntDeXt3r+

HSC
Survivor39 said:
Oh point, lactic acid don't derive from kreb cycle :D *coughs* It's from the products of glycolysis - pyruvate.
Ok.. :) i forgot.. srsly.. goto love the stuff i forgot lolz.. Wait Heart=left?!

technically ure answer isnt right in terms of haemodynamics.. cos there is more than one reason for anaemia but thats the gist :)...
the fun part is the histo/path of haematology :D

Survivor39

Premium Member
HSC
+Po1ntDeXt3r+ said:
technically ure answer isnt right in terms of haemodynamics.. cos there is more than one reason for anaemia but thats the gist :)...
the fun part is the histo/path of haematology :D
gee. so picky. I only answered your question as well as you answered mine, remember?? lol :D

histo rocks, except I might have screwed up my spot test :( !
path sucks. not planning to do it next semester. it's just like histo + diseases. i think i had enough memorising already with histo...

Survivor39

Premium Member
HSC
nit said:
haha, one semester of concepts in biology 1001 and I'm on my way to becoming biologist! Hmm, yeh lactic acid results from the fermentation of pyruvate mainly in animal cells. That whole cycling idea of NAD while producing ATP is really neat. Talk about efficiency.
what's with all the Med people invading this thread??! :D
I hate metabolism. Why are there so many enzymes for everything :( Especially the cycling of NAD+. I hate that you can cycle it via latate fermentation, via the glycerrole 3-phosphate shuttle, or via malate-aspartate shuttle. I mean come on.. you found that neat. :p

Budz

HSC
Just taking a wild guess but.
Lemon which is acidic (Ph < 7)

Affects naturally occuring enzymes found in seafood, the alterations of charges around the Enzyme causes 'denaturing' the enzymes no longer catalyse chemical reactions which im guessing deteriorate the food...

But i actully think we as in everyday humans who know nothing about bio chemistry add lemon to food becase it tastes good - "sharper than normal"

Budz

HSC
Um Why Antibiotics only target pathogen well to be precise bacteria..

I am also only guessing but isnt it because it is only toxic to bacteriums. You could also ask why some antibiotices affect certain species of bacteria and other dont.

I was always under the impression that some fungi secrete chemicals which were found to inhibit bacterial growth. After the testing upon various organisms it was concluded that only certain species of bacteria was affected by certain antibiotics.

If no well my next best guess would be somethign to do with bacterium's lack of a nucleus. lol.

And if not then i guess the antigens (chemical signature) of certain bacteria allow for attraction of ceratin antibiotics

why am i (braceting) lol im talkin to Uni students lol

Budz

HSC
For Survivor 39 -
Although i have searched everywhere for a worth while carreer future... It is impossible to decide the science i enjoy the best..
So i was thinking of doin a combined Bachelor in engineerin and Science but what major in the engineering would be science based

Also what majors should i pick if i would eventually wish to do nanotechnology.

I know that there is a seperate degree but id prefer a combined just in case...
Thanx

Survivor39

Premium Member
HSC
Budz said:
Just taking a wild guess but.
Lemon which is acidic (Ph < 7)

Affects naturally occuring enzymes found in seafood, the alterations of charges around the Enzyme causes 'denaturing' the enzymes no longer catalyse chemical reactions which im guessing deteriorate the food...

But i actully think we as in everyday humans who know nothing about bio chemistry add lemon to food becase it tastes good - "sharper than normal"
Everyday people do actually think that adding lemon because it taste good. But this is not the case in a microbiological pespective. You add lemon to seafoos, especially oysters, because the lowring of pH denature enzymes found in bacteria (not the food itself). Seafood contain a range of bacteria, possibly pathogenic, such as Vibrio species, which are suitable to the high salt content of the sea water. Then you have your other nasty Protozoa (Giardia and Cryptosporidium) etc etc.

Bascially the lowering of pH is used to kill microorganisms. So no matter whether you eat your seafood raw or cooked, the chance of you getting food infection and food intoxication descreases.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)