Biggest Tip For Monologues (1 Viewer)

LumpyLoo

HSC
noir. said:
Hey lumpy, I read your monologue and I think you've written it very well; lots of descriptive language and sentence structure.

So you’re pretty much describing the actions you took to kill him? I don’t think you should include the whole description about the blood trickling down… Not that its poorly expressed in your script, its just that it seems like something the markers would get put off by. You’ve taken a big risk with incorporating this issue of death in your script, but I think with a few more drafts, you’ll be able to make your script seem a little less depressing and gothic like to something a little more thoughtful and personal.

Good luck,

Gangles.
Hey... i know i havent written in ages, lol Ive been working on my Society and Culture Pip and trying to figure out my monologue haha
Im quite the slow, i realise that haha my monologue SO isnt going well... i showed my teacher and she recomended trying some Jacobean tragedy techniques and... maybe puppets, i dont know, its getting annoying

My new monologue.... so far im just ripping off 'pink' singing the first verse of 'Im not dead' and then talking about how i got raped and all that jazz but now i think about it its kind of a bad idea. haha

UGH!!

Lol.. due.... 3 months.... ISSUES!!

haha

Maybe i could do how this chick was in terribly screwed up relationships and then now shes in a relaionship with this awesomeness of a guy and shes all happy now

It stays clear of too much... deppressionism... lol and has some happy stuff... maybe i could even chuck in some humourous laughter lines...

Help anyone? haha what do u think??

Lumpy xxx

thesegotoeleven

HSC
what's all this about heaps of people doing Bombshells monologues.?
I did the wedding one for my preliminary exam this year an it was really successful.

Is it the fact that a lot of people are doing them?
I had no idea that they were so popular?

benedict

HSC
hey there
yes true! thanks very much for the advice!
2 girls in my class did monologues from bombshells and only 5 people did performances!

our teacher is a marker and wasnt too happy. apparently there are a lot more people doing bombshells then we are aware of!

I did Shirley Valentine by Willy Russell it was great i enjoyed it!

any opinions about Shirley?

goosiegoo

HSC
Mmmm, someone from my class did something from Bombshells (she did it brilliantly, i might say...)

courtneyy

Lover of the HSC
HSC
LumpyLoo said:
Hm im writing my monologue, trying to be fairly original and mine is about this chick whos completely obsessed with tis guy. she thinks of him all the time, dreams of him, but hes said that he cant love her the way she loves him. in her dreams, they have.. 'erotic encounters' .. *giggle* (im very mature when it comes to sex haha).. and after they do it.. giggle* he turns to leave and doesnt say why hes going, so *in the dream* she takes a knife and buries it in his heart. then shes talking about how much she hates him for leaving and shes mesmerised by the sight of his blood.. and how passion drove her to do it

ive been thinking.. is that too .. 'ugh, ive seen it a thousand times'? do u think its too 'done'?

yes yes yes.

i read it, it was good i am not saying that it's not. But think about it. Girl in love with boy. Boy leaves.

Teen angst much?

camilla =)

HSC
good list.
im still not 100% on mine so ill steer clear of these...
cheers =)

KatPadackles

HSC
Hey guys, I'm doing Sylvia Plath... And now that i have read this thread i'm starting to worry even more if it's to angsty. It's not 'teen' angst though. What do you guys think?

memadison

HSC
booties4 said:
Yes but being nominated for onstage generally means you got full marks!
hmm no dont agree there. onstage picks the most politically correct and somehow acceptable performances. so not definately full marks or the best... and you can tell from the performances that the quality is pretty varied...

queenskingdom

HSC
im thinkin of basing my monologue on catch a fire, where i would be a woman freedom fighter in her old age, remembering back and sort of re-telling the journey by using songs from it and other movies like it, i would incorporate language into it with references from white thorn's index, i dont know how well its all going 2 go 2getha tho so im a bit worried, im also planning 2 paint myself black, do u think this would be appropriate or am i thinking way beyond my league??????

HSC
my monologue is full of angst...and talks about being raped...and she murders her infant half brother.

i doubt ill go onstage somehow.

=D happy happy themes. bosnian refugee ftw.

booties4

HSC
memadison said:
hmm no dont agree there. onstage picks the most politically correct and somehow acceptable performances. so not definately full marks or the best... and you can tell from the performances that the quality is pretty varied...
To get a nomination for Onstage the student needs to have been awarded full marks, they then get shortlisted. It is in the selection process that all the politics come into play. You say that the quality is pretty varied, but have you considered the fact that people in these types of things usually have good and bad days when performing... i mean they have been practicing and rehearsing them over and over for most of the year. Plus, although there not meant to be, most of the markers critique subjectively which gives a greater scope of originality and differing themes throughout the whole of the Onstage process.

KatPadackles

HSC
Sorry if this is a really dumb question, but what do you mean by 'onstage'?

anailr

HSC
lyzzidc said:
i have to agree with all of those apart from the not doing a monolgue from Bomshells, a girl got into On Stage last year with a monologue from Bomshells
I think she was my friend.
She performed in 2007's OnStage HSC Drama showcase.
And her peice was from Bombshells.
Although, I will agree..
Everyone I talk to likes a monolouge in there..
You'd have to bring something different to it to make it through.
Like my friend's characterisation was bizarre but hysterical..

I'm having trouble finding a monolouge too.
I've found it's better to look at playwrights / writers that you know / like..
A boy at OnStage this year did a quite humerous one writen by Woody Allen.
If I were a boy I'd go for one of his plays, not films but he doesn't write much for women..

:uhoh:

kiannafirerose

HSC
SuNrIsE_oVa_sEa said:
It's been sed soooo many times yet people choose to ignore it....

DO NOT CHOOSE THE FOLLOWING TO PERFORM...

1. TEEN ANGST
2. SUICIDE
3. ABORTIONS
4. CHEAP 2 MIN MONOLOGUES FROOM TEEN BOOKS YOU GET FROM THE LIBRARY/INTERNET SITES THAT YOU STRETCH OUT BY URSELF
5. DEATH IN A NEGATIVE WAY
6. DRAMATIC MONOLOGUES THAT ARE WAY OUT OF UR LEAGUE
7. ACTUALLY ANYTHING THAT IS WAY OUT OF UR LEAGUE
8. A FAMOUS MONOLOGUE FROM A FAMOUS MOVIE
9. ANYTHING FROM A TEXT YOU ARE STUDYING IN ANY OTHER COURSE
10. DONT GET A MONOLOGUE FROM GIRL INTERRUPTED, TOP GIRLS OR BOMBSHELLS
11. AMERICAN TRASHY MONOLOGUES EG. REDNECK INCEST CRAP

:burn: SRY BOUT THE CAPS BUT I BET MOST OF U WILL IGNORE MY TIPS ANYWAY....if you do the opposite of wat i say... u r gay

do u reckon that a mono bout a woman with split personaity who kills her hubby is a bad idea?

Melikins

HSC
i have a mishmash of a monologue...

and i have chosen a few lines from girl interrupted...i dont see the problem with choosing lines from the "no-go pieces" when integrated with others...they get a different light, and a different meaning

anyhoo my performance is tomorrow...so no changing it now anyway!

good luck everyone else!!!

xandersnape

HSC
what do people say about musical theatre? I really...really want to do Cinderella or red riding hood from Into the Woods...
Or Lucy from Jekyll and Hyde.

people say to play to your advantages.. mine is singing for musical theatre or opera.

Is doing musical theatre or trying opera a bad idea?

Absolutezero

real human bean
HSC
N/A
Opera is a bad idea. Musical theatre can work, but it's difficult to work with.

Take Lucy for example. It's a good strong character, with decent songs. However, the problem lies in shortening her character progression into the space of 6 -8 minutes. Doing this, and incorporating songs, is extremely difficult. That said, it can be hard to justify the 'breaking into song'. For example, While Lucy's slip into 'a new life' works in the musical, it can be hard to use effectively in an 8 minute monologue.

That said, singing is not out of the question. A friend of mine did Maureen's performance protest fron RENT as her monologue. It incorporated singing as part of the piece. So it can be done.

Basically, if you incorporate singing, don't use it as a performance crutch. Make sure the singing actually adds to the piece. If you can do this then you should be alright.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)