best way to memorise quotes for hsie subjects? (1 Viewer)

HSC
any suggestions on the best way to 'memorise' quotes for hsie (humanities)? for my last assessment I used flashcards but it wasnt very helpful when actually integrating them into essays because I really could only remember them in chronological order based on my cards.

Life'sHard

HSC
Uni Grad
I don’t think my way was the best and most efficient strat. But simply rewriting essays a billion times was the way I memorised things. You get to a point where you already know the quotes and you end up just paraphrasing them when rewriting essays to save time.

mmmmmmmmaaaaaaa

HSC
As I have a pretty good photographic memory, where I don't need to see the quote many times to remember it ... it definitely helps

But, like Life'sHard stated, simply rewriting your quotes within an essay helps with memorising it. Not just memorising the quote, but also knowing the information to go with it, developing context for said quotes.
- You could also try putting your quotes into some form of a mnemonic to make it easier for yourself to remember

Ultimately, it all comes down to preparation, you need to give yourself enough time to remember all the different quotes for all your subjects

Hope this helps

RossoneriAU

HSC
Honestly, my favourite way of memorising quotes was pretty much writing out a whole list of them, and then looking and reciting them a few times first thing in the morning, one or two times in the middle of the day, and then a few times before I went to sleep. I know it doesn't work for some people, but I feel like I retained more of it in my long-term memory by reading it as the last thing I do one day, and first thing I do the next.

Good luck with it!

girlwithnoname

HSC
The only subject I've ever had to remember quotes for is English, so not sure if I can provide the best advice. However, I remember quotes by:

1) Making a 'TEE' Table - [Technique (if applicable), Example, Effect] and reading over this out loud a few times

2) Writing practice essays/responses while looking at my notes

3) Making flashcards (digitally bc I always lose things) with the prompt of a quote (like first or key word) and effect - You mentioned that you only remember them in chronological order. I shuffle mine or arrange them thematically. Also say my answers out loud before checking.

4) Writing practice essays/responses without looking at my notes

5) Make a note of which ones I messed up or completely forgot, and making a conscious effort to revise these more

6) Where I can, try to make an mnemonic, but when you have like 10+ quotes this can be hard, so only do this where you think it is applicable

* Some studies suggest that reading out loud helps to memorise things. Definitely notice a big difference in my memory when reading aloud compared to in my head.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)