Best uni for Math/CompSci?? (1 Viewer)

sensored12

HSC
Currently tossing up between a double degree in Math and CompSci @ UNSW and USYD. I am also contemplating whether or not I want to undertake a compulsory honours years (on one hand, an honours year is one less year in a graduate position should I land one, but the additional year does allow for more internship opportunities). For some context, I am looking to get into: Quant Trading/Development, Data Science, Software Engineering.

If you have any thoughts on this, let me know and enlighten me with your words of wisdom. Thanks!!

Last edited:

idkkdi

HSC
Currently tossing up between a double degree in Math and CompSci @ UNSW and USYD. I am also contemplating whether or not I want to undertake a compulsory honours years (on one hand, an honours year is one less year in a graduate position should I land one, but the additional year does allow for more internship opportunities). For some context, I am looking to get into: Quant Trading/Development, Data Science, Software Engineering.

If you have any thoughts on this, let me know and enlighten me with your words of. Thanks!!
usyd maths might be slightly better. unsw comp better program imo. probs go unsw.

dasfas

HSC
Both are good, pick based on semester vs trimester, and commute time.

Anything that's available at UNSW will be available at USYD, and vice versa. For undergrad, it really comes down to how much you take advantage of the opportunities you are given. You will have tons available to you at both unis.

d1zzyohs

HSC
I'm looking to go to UNSW.
I made this decision on a few factors, which you may or may not care about:
1. Generalised reputation
  • Don't know if it's warranted or not, but UNSW is definitely widely regarded as the better Comp Sci/Engi uni.
  • The partner organisations which UNSW have and the connections with industry (especially with the stuff u want to do), as well as being the birth place of Australia's biggest software company (Atlassian, but maybe it's Canva now so idk).
  • (Completely anecdotal and not serious, but I keep hearing USYD does their comp sci tests on paper. Surely not.)
2. Teaching staff
  • I personally went to UNSW and talked with the professor who leads the Computer Science department. He seemed incredibly interested in programming not just as a job, but as a way of excercising your brain.
  • I also met with lecturers who would be teaching the first year course, and they were incredibly passionate, and dilligent teachers. At Open Day, they stayed with me for as long as I wanted, explaining the general structure of the course - differences between languages, etc. This is probably the most important to me.
3. Societies/Social life
  • From what I have heard from current USYD and UNSW students, UNSW has a better social life, as well as a better club structure.

Just from an education standpoint, it's probably very similar.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)