Belonging Notes: From a Lecture With HSC Markers (1 Viewer)

Phouna

HSC
N/A
BELONGING NOTES!
• Different environment& atmosphere contributes to our sense of belonging.
• Adapting after a while strengthens the sense of belonging, knowing the place a bit, feeling comfortable.
• Shifting back to civilisation, feels out of place, not belonging, shifting in with different surrounding.
• Upbringing places a part in our sense of belonging
• Technology-internet-find someone with the same interest and sense of belonging kicks in. E.g. Facebook, Twitter, Bebo, Myspace.
• Perspective of others, shifts our sense of belonging
• Obstacles and struggling creates a feel of not belonging and break apart a sense of security.
• Enjoyment and change of attitude(positive) helps build sense of belonging.
• After being placed in a different place, conditions, our experience alters our sense of belonging

E.g. going on holidays and returning home, takes a period of time to feel the feeling of belonging again.

• Preparation etc doesn’t help with the sense of belonging.
• Being familiar to the way and knowing the comfort zone (when you are at a place you don’t know/never been to) - supports sense of belonging.
• Stereotype media - acceptance only through appearance- determining whether you belong or not.
• Belonging is a choice.
• Knowledge and stereotype makes others feel like they don’t belong.
• No desire to change - belonging
• Belonging is a journey
• Individuals don’t feel like they belong due to self and the desire to not change.
• Belonging is everywhere, what you wear makes you belong to a certain brand, it all comes down to you whether you want to belong& who wants you to belong. Remember along with “belonging” there is always “isolation” that follows.
Responses
•Stronger responses - shows the relationship/ significant between texts.
•Why do people do the things? – REPRESENATION e.g. why does the characters do those actions/ Why has the author/ artist/ producer make or use certain techniques instead of the others.
*Choice of language, form, features and structure shape the meaning and influence responses.
The choices are affluent by a composer’s sense of belonging.
•How is the concept of belonging conveyed through the text, people, relationships, ideas, places, events and society?
•Does it make a difference where the character belongs?
•Share some values of feelings -understanding a world in a different way - shape in a peculiar way, different society- assumption to being Australian.
•Possibility present by a sense of belonging or not belonging

Perception
•How an individual perception of belonging or not can vary, is shaped by his/her personal, cultural, historical and social context.

ASPECTS OF BELONGING
•Experiences
•Notion of identity
•Relationship
•Acceptance
•Understanding

FORMULA TO ANSWER QUESTIONS

•Identify
•Exemplify
•Explain
•Extrapolate

SHORT STORY!!!
•Do not abuse the concept of belonging too strongly
•Don’t use the word belonging
•Exclusion, acceptance, struggle
•Keep it simple, focus on the concept
IMAGERY!- BOLD, CREATIVE COMBINATIONS TO ACHIEVE ORIGINALITY
•Simile, metaphor or personification
SHOW DON’T TELL
•Short story-hook reader in the first two lines, straight into action
•Explode a moment, two characters, one setting
•READ SHORT STORIES
•Turning point-climax-should not be death-with too quick-carefully state the relationship. TWIST& A TALE
•Dramatic beginning
AVOID-irrelevant background info on your character
•Character should be revealed through dialogue and actors.
•Avoid: lots of internal dialogue
•Use experience of own
•Close to own world-reflect truth (you can utilize jargon to add a little touch of truth.)
•Use paragraphs!!!
AVOID romance (genre) &Fantasy… YOU HAVE 40 minutes to WRITE A DECENT STORY!
• Allow the audience to add to the story
DO NOT CONCENTRATE ON THE PLOT – YOU WANT TO SHOW BELONGING!
• Recommended to be 4 PGS
• Note: The creative writing section to Paper One does not have to be a narrative.

EXAM
• Have at least two great storylines YOU CAN TWIST to suit any type of belonging questions.
• Remembering a story can be risky especially if you walk into the exam and through the reading time.. you might have a panic attack >_<”

Dos & DON’Ts
•Let the Q drive and shape your response
•Blend your understanding of belonging with the question
DON’T put the questions in your introduction
•Thesis or statement throughout response – A MUST
•Use the text to support or challenge the thesis or concepts
SPECIFIC TOPIC+ ATTITUDE/ANGLE/ARGUMENT=THESIS
•What you plan to argue +how you plan to argue it=THESIS
DO NOT RE-COUNT OR RE-TELL TEXT
•ANALYSIS&EVALUATE TEXT
•NO OPINION FOR READERS

ESSAY STUFF

1. Thesis-map guide reader
2. Connection btw text, comparison or pattern
3. Techniques and contrasts
4. Use cohesive devices E.g. similarity, by contrast, parallel
5. Use topic sentences
6. Support all statement with references to text
7. Vocab for belonging – the better your vocab and structure contributes to an AWESOME MARKS!
8. Quotes + short quotes - support what you say, don’t put any quotes that does not support thesis. (Short quotes are best, try to integrate them in your sentence& they are easier to remember – it’ll provide the flow for the reader/marker when they are reading…. Remember they are reading a trillion PAPERS with some hideous handwriting.)

Related pieces

FILM
•JUST FIND ONE PART OR SECTION TO ANALYSIS
PICK TEXT THAT MAKES READER STAND UP-FIND OWN
•Integrate the HOW}techniques+ make it personal
•Don’t try to write everything down: capture keypoints
•3-5 related pieces recommended BUT THREE SHOULD BE MORE THAN ENOUGH!

Things to remember when choosing your related texts:

• Try and get a variety of different types. E.g. If you are doing a novel, go searching for a visual piece such as a film or artwork or a picture book. E.g. Frida Kahlo, Kathe Kollwitz.
• QUALITY: Do something that you know not many people will do… YOU WANT TO STAND OUT OF THE CROWD and show the markers you know your stuff. .
• Make sure you can connect your text to belonging… REMEMBER it does not have to be similar to your prescribed text as long as it has some sort of representation of belonging.
• Does it play your strength? Try to do something you are passionate or interested in. You will do so much better.
DO NOT FORGET YOUR THESIS!

SHORT ANSWERS
• Be Specific
• Can capitalize on other answers to answer another question.
WRITE ACCORDING TO MARKS – if it id worth two marks DON’T write HALF A PAGE!
• TIMING- BALANCE!!!
• In this section LOOK for anything that symbolizes a connection, affiliation, relationship AND OF COURSE BELONGING!
• Main questions are HOW? & WHAT?

11 points concerning belonging

1. Family
2. Friends
3. Belonging to place/national identity
4. Race
5. Religion
6. Political
7. Profession
8. Lifestyle
9. Learn spirit& shared identity

When studying for English.

HAND WRITE!!!
TIME yourself
• Find a quiet environment where you will not be disturbed for a certain time.
PRACTICE! Break down the paper if you want
• Get any questions on “Belonging” pick up your pen and WRITE&WRITE!
• The teachers are there for a REASON SO USE THEM- this goes for all subjects! If you don’t understand something shovel your hand up in the air, it is likely that others don’t understand it too OR chase after them at recess/lunch.
Place quotes around the house like a crazy person on colourful cardboard and stick them around the house WHERE YOU KNOW you will always see them.
• When you have time do not leave it to the last minute. Grab your notes out and start cutting it down. It is a killer when you have to do it A WEEK before the actual HSC exams.
• If you know your stuff, you should be confident in crashing and burning the HSC AOS English paper!

BEST WISHES GUYS!!!
Katherine

^__^

Last edited:

Phouna

HSC
N/A
NO PROBS ^_^

I realise how many mistakes I made in the post just then I forgot to add "identity" >_<" and I'm figuring you have all picked up on my spelling mistakes >_<" lol...

ASPECTS OF BELONGING
· Experiences - shared experience as a hold.
· Notion of "identity"
· Relationship
· Acceptance
· Understanding

I'm not sure if I've mention for your related pieces (I'm pretty sure your teachers will tell you) that try and do different types e.g if you are doing a novel say "Swallow the Air" by Tara June Winch... as a related try and find a visual piece - an artwork or film etc.

One of the HSC markers talking to us suggests we know at least min. of three related... trust me they won't ask for three... unrealistic with the time restrictions but have some backup... some related must be stronger than others for a particular question.

On the last note... good luck and trust me you'll be fine. If you guys want help with finding related pieces especially a visual piece. Just message me anytime ^_^

Phouna

HSC
N/A
Hey guys... I had some free time today so I updated the notes. BEST WISHES!
ANY problems at all PM me :)

Sultun

Banned
HSC
N/A
People give lectures on this rubbish? Makes me want to be sick...

strawberrye

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
To OP, you are one generous soul:), wished I had seen this when I was studying Belonging, would have saved me a lot of time:)

lux19

HSC
Wow, thanks heaps!!

Sent from my Lumia 610 using Tapatalk

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)