Band 6 & State Rank Raw Mark (1 Viewer)

Bozzin8R

HSC
Given the general consensus is that this was a harder exam than previous years, what do you guys think will be the Band 6 Cut off? and the raw for a State Rank?

I'm gonna say 83 raw for Band 6, and 95 raw for a State Rank.

Speed6

Retired '16
HSC
N/A
The B6 cut-off will be around 82-83 raw

~96 for a state rank imo after looking at other years cut-off's.

I97

HSC
Band 6: 83-84 raw
State rank: Not too sure what it usually is but probably 95-96 raw

ryan_gorton

HSC
Band 6: 83-84
State Rank: 96-97 at a guess

I'm hoping for 90-95 raw, but you can just never tell, be a long wait till December 16!

noobtroopert

HSC
Firstly, when you guys say 'Raw' do you mean 83 in the HSC exam ITSELF will be considered a band 6, or 83 with internal assessment mark + HSC will be band 6 overall?

Secondly, when you say state rank of 96 etc.. Does that mean 96 in that HSC exam or 96 for both internal and HSC mark?

sy37

HSC
Firstly, when you guys say 'Raw' do you mean 83 in the HSC exam ITSELF will be considered a band 6, or 83 with internal assessment mark + HSC will be band 6 overall?

Secondly, when you say state rank of 96 etc.. Does that mean 96 in that HSC exam or 96 for both internal and HSC mark?
raw mark = in the hsc exam itself

so 83 raw = 90 hsc = band 6

95 raw = state rank = about 96-97 hsc or something like that

Bozzin8R

HSC

Ok, well when we say "Raw" yes we mean the raw mark /100 in the HSC exam itself. There is a raw mark 'cut-off' for a band 6 determined each year. Just because someone gets above this in the exam doesn't necessarily mean they will get a band 6 as a HSC mark, as their internal mark and ranking may have been terrible. For example, an exam mark of 91 with a moderated assessment mark of 78 will not give that person a band 6 overall, but they did achieve the band 6 mark in the exam itself.

As for state rank, yes we mean 96 again in the exam itself. However, for someone who is ranked first internally (really the only people with a chance at a state rank), if they get 96 for their external, which is the highest in their school, their internal assessment mark will also be aligned to 96, making their final HSC mark 96 anyway.

Hope this helps somewhat

noobtroopert

HSC
Sorry for the copious amounts of questions.. Last one!

When you say a raw mark of 83 will be aligned to a b6 in the HSC exam.. Will a 90 be aligned to 94? Or a 94 be aligned to a 98? Like since it was a difficult exam, does everyone's raw mark, no matter what is was, get aligned to a higher score? Like even a 60 get aligned to a 70 etc...?

I97

HSC
Sorry for the copious amounts of questions.. Last one!

When you say a raw mark of 83 will be aligned to a b6 in the HSC exam.. Will a 90 be aligned to 94? Or a 94 be aligned to a 98? Like since it was a difficult exam, does everyone's raw mark, no matter what is was, get aligned to a higher score? Like even a 60 get aligned to a 70 etc...?
Yes but the amount it moves gets progressively smaller as you go higher up with marks. So for the 97+ HSC marks you almost need those actual raw marks.
These were the marks from last year.
93 (raw) --> 96 (aligned)
88 (raw) --> 93 (aligned)
84 (raw) --> 91 (aligned)
75 (raw) --> 85 (aligned)

noobtroopert

HSC
Okay cheers mate. I'm just wondering because I'm ranked 5/34 (because I messed up one heavy weighted exam which was 30%) and I'm confident that I got 95+ in that HSC exam but the people above me aren't so confident as they answered some questions wrong (performance elements lol). They told me they think they'll get raw marks of around 85...

Makes me feel better because I'm aiming for around a 92 for internal+HSC :)))

noobtroopert

HSC
I know this is a PDHPE thread, but does anyone here know what the raw marks for last years biology exam aligned to for a b6? I have bio tomorrow and I'm not very confident at all :'(

turnerloos

TAFE Executive Officer
HSC
I know this is a PDHPE thread, but does anyone here know what the raw marks for last years biology exam aligned to for a b6? I have bio tomorrow and I'm not very confident at all :'(
Depends on the difficulty of the bio exam tmr. But i'd say a solid 85+ raw

noobtroopert

HSC
Yeah but what I'm asking is does anyone know what the raw mark LAST year was for b6, or just 85+?

camsmith

HSC
Ok, well when we say "Raw" yes we mean the raw mark /100 in the HSC exam itself. There is a raw mark 'cut-off' for a band 6 determined each year. Just because someone gets above this in the exam doesn't necessarily mean they will get a band 6 as a HSC mark, as their internal mark and ranking may have been terrible. For example, an exam mark of 91 with a moderated assessment mark of 78 will not give that person a band 6 overall, but they did achieve the band 6 mark in the exam itself.

As for state rank, yes we mean 96 again in the exam itself. However, for someone who is ranked first internally (really the only people with a chance at a state rank), if they get 96 for their external, which is the highest in their school, their internal assessment mark will also be aligned to 96, making their final HSC mark 96 anyway.

Hope this helps somewhat
Where can we find each year's cut-offs for subjects?

noobtroopert

HSC
So in bio, if I'm ranked 2/45 and tomorrow score around 85, with alignment, will that give me a b6 roughly overall to go towards by ATAR?

turnerloos

TAFE Executive Officer
HSC
So in bio, if I'm ranked 2/45 and tomorrow score around 85, with alignment, will that give me a b6 roughly overall to go towards by ATAR?
most likely. But if your whole class fucks up, it could drag your internal mark since you're ranked 2nd (2nd highest moderated mark), and you could potentially miss the b6 cut.

sy37

HSC
most likely. But if your whole class fucks up, it could drag your internal mark since you're ranked 2nd (2nd highest moderated mark), and you could potentially miss the b6 cut.
absolutely not most likely

unless the person first gets like a 98 and your internal mark thus becomes around 94, then an 85 hsc exam mark will not be enough

moreover, if you are ranked second and you are not confident, it doesn't really reflect that your cohort is well prepared...

turnerloos

TAFE Executive Officer
HSC
absolutely not most likely

unless the person first gets like a 98 and your internal mark thus becomes around 94, then an 85 hsc exam mark will not be enough

moreover, if you are ranked second and you are not confident, it doesn't really reflect that your cohort is well prepared...
i meant 85 raw. not 85 hsc

noobtroopert

HSC
So you're saying, if I score 85 in tomorrow's exam, then I should be on the way to a b6?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)