Band 6 Cut-off estimations? (1 Viewer)

HSC
Wait, for the electrochemcial cell question, I thought we were meant to talk about the cells like mercury cell/diaphragm cell. Aren't lead acid/dry cells galvanic cells..

Riproot

#MedLyf
HSC
Uni Grad
Wait, for the electrochemcial cell question, I thought we were meant to talk about the cells like mercury cell/diaphragm cell. Aren't lead acid/dry cells galvanic cells..
Was it in the Industrial Chemistry section? lol

MonsterMe

HSC
Again with people overestimating the state. Your school might have found it straight forward.. I was personally thrown off by a few of the longer questions and stupid things like flow charts (really?) so yeah, I think it'll be difficult to estimate but don't get too sure of yourself. I thought the exam was OKAY, I like the fish questions oddly enough, stumped by the question on the battery cell. Talked about the dry cell.. No clue if it's right.

Last edited:

puffyjellyfish

HSC
I talked about the mercury cell from the industrial process too. I just thought that lead acid/dry cells were electrolytic cells [no they are not galvanic cells] rather than electrochemical cells. Apparently you can get zero since you its not in the CORE topics. Although wiki does say

"An electrochemical cell is a device capable of either deriving electrical energy from chemical reactions, or facilitating chemical reactions through the introduction of electrical energy."

So I suppose we answered according to the latter definition

Riproot

#MedLyf
HSC
Uni Grad
I talked about the mercury cell from the industrial process too. I just thought that lead acid/dry cells were electrolytic cells [no they are not galvanic cells] rather than electrochemical cells. Apparently you can get zero since you its not in the CORE topics. Although wiki does say

"An electrochemical cell is a device capable of either deriving electrical energy from chemical reactions, or facilitating chemical reactions through the introduction of electrical energy."

So I suppose we answered according to the latter definition
That's the only definition. lol

You should be fine as long as you answered the question.

ademb13

HSC
the acid in the dry cell eats the zinc and is released into the environment. Usually rain dilutes the acid and it is not an issue, however in areas of little to no rainfall the acid will damage the soil and kill many organisms that decompose waste... etc

simskee

Demon
HSC
I'd say the cut-off this year would be around 75 :)

crazy_paki123

HSC
for the electrolytic cell queation i talked about the Lithium-Manganese Cell lol Pure Bullshit

nucgaek

HSC
wtf?
all you had to write down was trophosphere, stratos, mesos, exos. you had to say SO2 was from volcanoes and smelting iron and NOx's were from combustion engines.
other papers asked shit on fertilisers and EDTA acids and shit
Exos? And I'm pretty sure it said industrial sources so volcanoes could lose you a mark...

Yeahh i said it pollutes silver which is a heavy metal? is that wrong!??!?
Nope, as long as you explain it right any of the cells worked (if nothing, could have said landfill or something). Silver is basically the same as lead-acid: silver/lead are heavy metals, H2SO4/KOH are toxic strong acid/base

And what was wrong with the fish question?

someth1ng

Retired Nov '14
HSC
Uni Grad
Exos? And I'm pretty sure it said industrial sources so volcanoes could lose you a mark...

Nope, as long as you explain it right any of the cells worked (if nothing, could have said landfill or something). Silver is basically the same as lead-acid: silver/lead are heavy metals, H2SO4/KOH are toxic strong acid/base

And what was wrong with the fish question?
Exosphere but it should be thermosphere...not exosphere.

xnerd96x

HSC
band 6 tends to be anything >75-80%. if you get scaling higher, that would be even better and should definately place you in band 6. GOOD LUCK!!!!

Riproot

#MedLyf
HSC
Uni Grad
band 6 tends to be anything >75-80%. if you get scaling higher, that would be even better and should definately place you in band 6. GOOD LUCK!!!!
Can't spell and is wrong.

Go away.

Safraaz

HSC
Uni Grad
The usual band 6 cut off for chemistry is around 72 as a raw. This year I think the cut-off will stay the same or will drop down a bit lower mainly because the questions were very specific and required a solid answer. For example, the 5-6 marker for the environmental impacts of an electrochemical cell-> to obtain full marks here, you should have addressed this question using the lead-acid/battery cell and its oxidation/reduction equations etc... surely there must have been alot of people in the state who didn't pick battery cell as one of their main study cells. There were ALOT of calculations involved in this years paper, with about 5-6 being in the multiple choice itself (In previous years, its usually 2-3 calculation based questions in the MC). This means that people who don't do maths or are poor at their maths might have suffered because at these areas. There were alot of long answers 4-6 markers in the paper, which makes it easier to lose marks rather than having 1-3 easy marker questions. This is because a few people in the state usually get 7/7 or 6/6, 5/5 for all the long answers... while the majority of people getting 6/7, 4/6 or 4/5. Hence, these marks that are lost in long responses add up.

I spoke to my teacher after the exam and she thought the paper was a bit diffcult, but fair as it had a good combination of theory and practical based questions, including calculations. Thus, I firmly believe the cut-off will be the usual 70-75ish.

Last edited:

someth1ng

Retired Nov '14
HSC
Uni Grad
^Mostly agree (I did Dry cell). The only part I would disagree with is the equations - I don't think equations will be a requirement in that response but it definitely requires some understanding to be able to talk about environmental impacts.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)