Bachelor of Policing Question (1 Viewer)

Tacenda

HSC
Hello all, Just some quick questions about WSU Policing Course.
What's the difference between the leadership program and non leadership program?
what's this internship they keep talking about in the description of their course? It's something along the lines of 20 people getting selected.
Is the course compulsory in order to join the Police Force?
And What's the difference between Charles Sturt and Western Sydney's policing course.

kwonji

HSC
Hey, I'm not a police officer by any means but I sure as well want to be one, and have done hella research so I'm gonna try answer some of your questions.
~ no idea about the bachelor of policing (leadership course) at wsu, so can't really answer anything there. try calling wsu?
~ the wsu bachelor of policing (either one) is NOT compulsory for the nswpf. check the nswpf recruitment page for specifics. (the site itself has good info on getting in, but having attended one of their information sessions, I'll caution you that a lot of it is out of date. definitely go to an information session and take good notes - it's free to attend but you gotta get in and book quickly)
~ the csu IS compulsory, it's because csu is the uni that runs the actual Police Academy. the wsu is NOT compulsory, and honestly, I don't really see why you would do it considering a) expensive b) doesn't give you a leg up eligibility wise and c) the hassle of a whole 3 year full time uni degree
~ what is compulsory, however, is the csu ucwe, the prerequisite online course. from what i've heard, it's quite easy if you've done 2u hsc english and maths
~ deffo check out the ucwe facebook group for good info, the people are helpful if you have any questions. also messaging the nswpf recruitment page with any questions is very good, the person that runs the page answers very quickly and follows up on any questions they can't answer.
hope that helped. good luck!

AlexM116

HSC
What other career prospects exist for these two degrees? Being a police officer can't be the only job you can get with them.

jimmysmith560

Le Phénix Trilingue
HSC
Uni Grad
What other career prospects exist for these two degrees? Being a police officer can't be the only job you can get with them.
You may be able to work in a role similar to a police officer, such as a correctional officer or in customs. However, if you are considering a different career, then you may have a few options, although it is unlikely that there are many options beyond government-related careers. An example is a career as a researcher, which may or may not require you to join the police force prior to working in research (i.e. in order to gain experience that would benefit your research career). My cousin, who is a police officer, completed an Associate Degree in Policing Practice at CSU and has no interest/intention in pursuing a different career.

If you believe that you would be more interested in a career outside the police force, you may potentially need to pursue further study. For this reason, it would probably be a better idea to study a Bachelor of Policing rather than an Associate Degree in Policing Practice because further study, including an Honours year and a Master's degree, require that you complete a Bachelor's degree. An Associate Degree (AQF level 6), while being a better qualification than a diploma (AQF level 5), is inferior to a Bachelor's degree (AQF level 7).

It would be a good idea to speak to your careers advisor as well as contact CSU and/or WSU to seek additional, potentially more accurate information regarding career paths other than the police force.

I hope this helps! :D

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)