Bachelor of Nursing and Master of Nursing? (1 Viewer)

birdlace

HSC
Usyd offers a Bachelor of Nursing (Advanced Studies) and a combined degree of Master of Nursing/Bachelor of either Health Science, Science, or Arts. I was wondering what the differences between these bachelor and master degrees were (specifically the Usyd courses) and which one would be better to take?

If it matters, the ATAR cut-off is higher for advanced studies but you get more qualifications with the masters, I guess?

Any help/advice is appreciated, thanks.

futuremidwife

HSC
Uni Grad
Im curious about this too. And isn't a bachelor a requirement for masters? I dont know how this is possible, though the arts/nursing one interests me!

birdlace

HSC
Yeah, I'm so lost. And seeing your signature reminded me that I was (now still am) considering midwifery but I'm not sure if its for me yet.

Amleops

Perpetual Student
HSC
Masters degrees generally require a more rigorous study program, which may or may not have more emphasis on research than the bachelor degrees. In the case for nursing, it appears from the unit of study table that there is some degree of research involved.

It is important to remember that ATAR cut offs are generally indicative of demand, not the quality of the course per se. For what it's worth, while the Advanced Studies cut off is slightly higher, last year there were vacancies after the Main Round. For two of the three combined programs however, there were not. This would suggest that many of the people getting into the Advanced Studies degree in a later round would have an ATAR that could be well less than that of anyone who had been admitted into the Masters program (this is of course not taking into account access schemes or bonus points). But again, I don't think this is too relevant. What would be important is the quality and the content of the degrees themselves. Doing some research on the university websites and handbooks should provide you with the information you need.

With that considered, I would recommend doing the Combined Masters degree over the Advanced Studies program. You get a more holistic, flexible education (in health science/science in general, not just nursing), and you would also finish with a Masters, which is a higher qualification.

futuremidwife

HSC
Uni Grad
I have a question. If I do this course, am I able to do the diploma of midwifery at either UTS or UWS?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)