Assess the validity (1 Viewer)

o_0

HSC
for the question asking to assess the validity of the experiment to measure the electrical resistance at -100 degrees celcius, how did you guys go about answering this?

Implying

HSC
for the question asking to assess the validity of the experiment to measure the electrical resistance at -100 degrees celcius, how did you guys go about answering this?
its not valid because the line of best fit is imprecise

o_0

HSC
its not valid because the line of best fit is imprecise
nice. by the way, is this question up for personal interpretation? or is there a definite answer?

AAEldar

Premium Member
HSC
It was given that the line was linear at room temperature, so it's unknown how it would be at the lower temperature. How I answered it anyway, plus the accuracy of the line of best fit.

idunno1402

HSC
by extrapolating the curve, ure assuming that the linear relationship holds true. that cant be valid, because for all we know, it could be a superconductor below -90 degrees

Gangstar1

HSC
what did you guys get for resistance?

Last edited:

brent012

Webmaster
Webmaster
HSC
It was given that the line was linear at room temperature, so it's unknown how it would be at the lower temperature. How I answered it anyway, plus the accuracy of the line of best fit.
+1. The range of the experimental data was too small to be able to presume its valid for -100 which is a massive jump, the formula thing they provided only held true for near room temperature (which the experimental data was) which tells us that the trend doesn't hold true for extreme temperatures like -100.

by extrapolating the curve, ure assuming that the linear relationship holds true. that cant be valid, because for all we know, it could be a superconductor below -90 degrees
Couldn't possibly be a super conductor, the type 2 super conductors with the highest critical temperature still have a critical temperature of around -140 celsius.

brent012

Webmaster
Webmaster
HSC
http://www.superconductors.org/254K.htm

-19 degrees Celsius superconductor.
Haha wow +rep, that is awesome - pretty recent discovery though and I was just going off textbook examples. Besides that, i don't remember 100% but didn't the question specify the material was a metal alloy? All of these super conductors with relatively high critical temperatures are ceramics.

Edit: Oh wow on that site there is a super conductor with a critical temperature of 20 degrees celsius (positive!), that is incredible lol.

telstrarobs

HSC
N/A
Haha wow +rep, that is awesome - pretty recent discovery though and I was just going off textbook examples. Besides that, i don't remember 100% but didn't the question specify the material was a metal alloy? All of these super conductors with relatively high critical temperatures are ceramics.

Edit: Oh wow on that site there is a super conductor with a critical temperature of 20 degrees celsius (positive!), that is incredible lol.
Interesting. Now that I recall I do think it might have been a metal alloy.

Fizzy_Cyst

HSC
Uni Grad
Question was

"The electrical resistance, R, of a piece of wire was measured at different temperatures, T. Near room temperature, the resistacne can be modelled by the equation R=mT+b

(b) Assess the validity of using the data from this experiment to estimate the electrical resistacne at -100 degC"

brent012

Webmaster
Webmaster
HSC
Question was

"The electrical resistance, R, of a piece of wire was measured at different temperatures, T. Near room temperature, the resistacne can be modelled by the equation R=mT+b

(b) Assess the validity of using the data from this experiment to estimate the electrical resistacne at -100 degC"
Lol sounds like some dodgy Benzoyl Peroxide face wash.

Anyway thanks, what do you think you would have had to say for full marks in this question?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)