Anything to know about Year 11 before I start? (1 Viewer)

Etho_x

HSC
N/A
Hello,

I was wondering if there was anything I should know about Year 11, before school commences next year, in regards to self-study and the subjects I've chosen below:

English Standard
Mathematics Extension 1
Chemistry
Biology
Drama
Software Design and Development

My other question is: How can I study for MX1, and English in the holidays effectively? (before I start the course)

Any help/advice is much appreciated :)

ThatOne

HSC
For Mathematics Extension 1, I'd say that you should go over your Year 10 content and make sure you have a solid foundation. If there were any particular areas you were weak in, consistently revise and improve in those. I cannot emphasise this enough because not having solidified Year 10 knowledge will leave you with gaps in your study for the rest of the Prelim and Yr12.

For English, my best piece of advice would be to read the texts you have been assigned. If possible, maybe even search online for analyses, important quotes, text summaries, etc to give you a headstart in the following year

For Chemistry and Biology, those are very content heavy subjects and as such, there is not a whole lot of of preparation that can be made for it besides trying to self-teach content ahead of time. But what I would say is to get a solid grasp of the scientific skills you've learnt so far (validity, reliability, accuracy, forming a scientific report, etc) because this knowledge continues into year 11.

vinlatte

HSC
For MX1, studying consistently helps with workload. It may seem like a lot at first, but it helps with reviewing your knowledge of the content. Especially with limited classes, I had 3 classes a fortnight so there was plenty of assigned homework. And write summary notes whenever you can, it is essential for studying before exams.

Cherrybomb56

HSC
For MX1, studying consistently helps with workload. It may seem like a lot at first, but it helps with reviewing your knowledge of the content. Especially with limited classes, I had 3 classes a fortnight so there was plenty of assigned homework. And write summary notes whenever you can, it is essential for studying before exams.
For math ex 1 do you think it’s way harder then advance math in year 11?

Drdusk

HSC
Uni Grad
Oh yeah definitely. Even though it's a new syllabus if the difficulty is around the same it will still be much harder than Adv.

Cherrybomb56

HSC
Oh yeah definitely. Even though it's a new syllabus if the difficulty is around the same it will still be much harder than Adv.
Wow okay , in your year 10 holidays did you focus on studying be extension content before school started ?

Drdusk

HSC
Uni Grad
Wow okay , in your year 10 holidays did you focus on studying be extension content before school started ?
Nope. I didn't think there was a need to and there wasn't imo. I did great in Ext 1 in year 11.

EpicNoob

HSC
Hello,

I was wondering if there was anything I should know about Year 11, before school commences next year, in regards to self-study and the subjects I've chosen below:

English Standard
Mathematics Extension 1
Chemistry
Biology
Drama

My other question is: How can I study for MX1, and English in the holidays effectively? (before I start the course)

Oh nice you are doing Software Design and Development I am doing it too for next year

Last edited:

Cherrybomb56

HSC
Nope. I didn't think there was a need to and there wasn't imo. I did great in Ext 1 in year 11.
Was it purely just from studying the content and putting all your hard work into doing the examples and exercises?

Drdusk

HSC
Uni Grad
Was it purely just from studying the content and putting all your hard work into doing the examples and exercises?
Yup. I actually did quite bad in maths in year 10 like averaging in the 60s to low 70s. By actually paying attention in the classroom and going after class to my math teacher to consolidate on any questions I didn't get also helped. I did put a lot of time into doing past paper questions. So yeah it was because of studying the content and consolidating anything I didn't get during lunch or recess and also doing past papers.

Cherrybomb56

HSC
Yup. I actually did quite bad in maths in year 10 like averaging in the 60s to low 70s. By actually paying attention in the classroom and going after class to my math teacher to consolidate on any questions I didn't get also helped. I did put a lot of time into doing past paper questions. So yeah it was because of studying the content and consolidating anything I didn't get during lunch or recess and also doing past papers.
wow nice work. I hope to do the same. thanks for the advice

vinlatte

HSC
Definitely, that's why it's extension math. It's meant to be more challenging than advanced math. But like any subject, you would have to put effort to do well.

Plus, ext math builds on adv content, so you won't be completely lost.

Cherrybomb56

HSC
Definitely, that's why it's extension math. It's meant to be more challenging than advanced math. But like any subject, you would have to put effort to do well.

Plus, ext math builds on adv content, so you won't be completely lost.
okay cause I mean in year 10 we have only learnt till advanced level so ext is different

vinlatte

HSC
okay cause I mean in year 10 we have only learnt till advanced level so ext is different
It's not completely different in concepts. It's like learning one concept in adv and having extra classes in ext to go further in the same concept.

So in adv, you would learn quadratics and in ext it would be polynomials of higher powers (graphing cubics, and sketching of repeated roots).

But the difficulty depends on how you handle it, that you understand the adv content and are able to build ext concepts.

Cherrybomb56

HSC
It's not completely different in concepts. It's like learning one concept in adv and having extra classes in ext to go further in the same concept.

So in adv, you would learn quadratics and in ext it would be polynomials of higher powers (graphing cubics, and sketching of repeated roots).

But the difficulty depends on how you handle it, that you understand the adv content and are able to build ext concepts.
okay. thanks for the advice. Just wondering are you doing tutoring for math?

vinlatte

HSC
okay. thanks for the advice. Just wondering are you doing tutoring for math?
No, I usually ask my teachers if I need more clarification and I mostly self study with borrowed textbooks. Plus my ext classes are very small, it's almost like tutoring in a way haha.

Time&moretime

HSC
Hello,

English Standard
Mathematics Extension 1
Chemistry
Biology
Drama

For Mathematics Extension 1, I'd say that you should go over your Year 10 content and make sure you have a solid foundation. If there were any particular areas you were weak in, consistently revise and improve in those. I cannot emphasise this enough because not having solidified Year 10 knowledge will leave you with gaps in your study for the rest of the Prelim and Yr12.

For English, my best piece of advice would be to read the texts you have been assigned. If possible, maybe even search online for analyses, important quotes, text summaries, etc to give you a headstart in the following year

For Chemistry and Biology, those are very content heavy subjects and as such, there is not a whole lot of of preparation that can be made for it besides trying to self-teach content ahead of time. But what I would say is to get a solid grasp of the scientific skills you've learnt so far (validity, reliability, accuracy, forming a scientific report, etc) because this knowledge continues into year 11.
Just adding to this if I may, if you are pressed for time, just do all of the review exercises from each chapter in the Year 10 content so that you could make room for the other preparation you need to do. :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)