Any tips for writing on the spot essays? (1 Viewer)

DrDawn

HSC
N/A
I'm a bit worried about my ability to create an essay on the spot, if I am given time and it was an assignment I'm able to create something pretty decent but when I am put on the spot and have to create an essay under timed conditions I tend to have a mind blank and stuff up. Does anyone have any advice for preparing an essay, do you make analysis tables or do you make a general essay (and mould it to the question). What is an effective way to prepare?

Also does anyone have any tips on how to create an effective thesis? I tend to just reword the question which isn't the best thing to do so any advice on that too would be great!

Last edited:

may22

HSC
Hey so something I did leading up to the prelims for both advanced and extension was make notes on each text, usually in table format and/or dot points. It included
- Values
- Themes
- Structural features
- Context
- Quote, Technique, Effect (I would gather a range of quotes, both ones that were specific to certain themes, and others that were more versatile)
- Some key semantic points
- Critics (if necessary)
It was just an easy way for me to lay it out, and as I did so I remembered the quotes better and such.

Also, it would be wise to read academic papers on your text; they expose you to profound ideas and help you form your own, which ultimately leads to strong thesis statements and arguments

Last edited:

DrDawn

HSC
N/A
Hey so something I did leading up to the prelims for both advanced and extension was make notes on each text, usually in table format and/or dot points. It included
- Values
- Themes
- Structural features
- Context
- Quote, Technique, Effect (I would gather a range of quotes, both ones that were specific to certain themes, and others that were more versatile)
- Some key semantic points
- Critics (if necessary)
It was just an essay way for me to lay it out, and as I did so I remembered the quotes better and such.

Also, it would be wise to read academic papers on your text; they expose you to profound ideas and help you form your own, which ultimately leads to strong thesis statements and arguments
Ah ok! So how many themes/values/quotes do you take notes on and how do you gauge the amount of detail to put in for each thing?

may22

HSC
Ah ok! So how many themes/values/quotes do you take notes on and how do you gauge the amount of detail to put in for each thing?
I literally have anxiety with my notes so I tend to draw on main concepts as well as slightly specific ones, but the notes I make are literally just my own thoughts. I've added a screenshot example from the notes I used for Oliver Twist in advanced. The part in the second column is like a list of sub-themes that essentially lets me come up with different thesis statements.
1631101206600.png

DrDawn

HSC
N/A
I literally have anxiety with my notes so I tend to draw on main concepts as well as slightly specific ones, but the notes I make are literally just my own thoughts. I've added a screenshot example from the notes I used for Oliver Twist in advanced. The part in the second column is like a list of sub-themes that essentially lets me come up with different thesis statements.
View attachment 32009
Woah this is so good! So how does that help you make your thesis?

may22

HSC
Woah this is so good! So how does that help you make your thesis?
Okay e.g. we had a practise essay question about redemption
So I based my arguments on:
1. the innocence of children
2. the value of Christianity (and the anti-Semitism in the text)
3. the difference in morality between children and adults

Because I knew my text pretty well and had come up with some decent interpretations throughout the time we studied it, I sort of just went with it in the exam. I quickly matched my arguments with quotes, already knew the techniques so I just elaborated on the effect and the commentary of the composer.

Btw, I just want to add another way to practise; my teacher set us these tasks called 'Snap Essays' or 'Snap Arguments', and it's basically 10-15mins where you write one argument, or intro + argument, for an essay question. I did several of these, and they were quite effective

Wizjaro

HSC
I'm a bit worried about my ability to create an essay on the spot, if I am given time and it was an assignment I'm able to create something pretty decent but when I am put on the spot and have to create an essay under timed conditions I tend to have a mind blank and stuff up. Does anyone have any advice for preparing an essay, do you make analysis tables or do you make a general essay (and mould it to the question). What is an effective way to prepare?

Also does anyone have any tips on how to create an effective thesis? I tend to just reword the question which isn't the best thing to do so any advice on that too would be great!
Just a little add on because everything May22 said is already pretty amazing advice, but for creating a strong thesis another thing I've found out is that introducing a new concept which isn't in the question but is still central to the text is a good way to showcase that you actually understand the text and aren't just writing a standard thesis. For example, if the question was about control I might add on the idea of identity if I feel like its a central aspect of my text and my thesis would centre on the universal human desire to have control over their identity. This also allows for really insightful thesis which will make your essays unique as people typically just agree with the question without adding their own personal thoughts and opinions. Additionally have an opinion is vital to doing well in English so make sure you have a very good understanding of your texts.

Constantspy977

sensational
HSC

hey, I'm only in yr 8, but I might have some advice. What I do is practice writing an essay each day under a time limit that you are comfortable with, and then you slowly start to decrease the time limit, and then within like 2 months you would be pretty good at writing essays. Basically, just search up some interesting topics and write about them. Currently, whilst doing this method, I can write a full essay in around 30-40 minutes. But I also do debating which helps as well as you write on the spot. If you haven't already tried debating, you should try it, it has boosted my English skills and talking skills as well.
Hope this helped :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)