ANU penalises entire class of 300 students for alleged plagiarism after being unable to find perpetrators (1 Viewer)

Is it Fair for ANU to punish an entire class for alleged plagiarism without evidence?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Drdusk

HSC
Uni Grad
Dam, that’s soo unlucky. I worked been pissed off as well if that had happened to me.

HSC
N/A
They shouldn't penalise all students. That's just very unfair. The original assignment should've been cancelled and a new one assigned and completed under much stricter conditions.

While ANU may have reached the perpetrators, it was at the expense of students who might've put a lot of effort and time into this assignment.

Imagine being a good student and working so hard on an assignment, then losing 30% of your mark because of someone else's mistake.

Last edited:

YonOra

HSC
Oooof! Jesus christ. I know I said I would stay off the forum for a few days but I just had to vote, and I guess I will comment too as a result.

I am one of the very few people who don't cheat in their classes. I also heard from various sources (and my own inference too) that lots of people cheat in assignments and etc. If that happened to me I would avoid that professor at all costs!

Fun fact (although slightly unrelated): one professor mentioned in a lecture that he has to refer so many people to the disciplinary committee because of assignment plagiarism detected through a program that he built (and even gave us a snapshot of it!) he also said that the backlog is about a few months because of covid and even affects people's ability to enrol in other classes as a result. Huge oof!
Why stay off BoS ? ;)

queenb_3

HSC
Uni Grad
That's definitely unfair without question. I'd be frustrated if all my hard work went to waste. It should be upon the university to investigate it thoroughly, and find the students no matter what rather than take the easy way out and penalise everyone. It would have been way better if, as someone said, they do a new assignment, and if they also find the perpetrators, hand them the well deserved punishment and set a deterrence the right way. It reminds me of primary where a few students would talk and disrupt class, and then we'd all have to stay in for recess. This is just way bigger, and more unfair.

quickoats

HSC
ANU have elective ungraded passes so it wouldn’t really impact people’s WAMs.

YonOra

HSC
I think its great. The person that didn't study is now orthodox from a miracle.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)