Am I screwed? (1 Viewer)

Ride The Lightning

HSC
Hey guys,

I go to a really low-ranked school (400ish) and was wondering if it's still possible for me to achieve a high ATAR (95-99.95) with some mediocre internal ranks.
Here's my ranks so far:
English Adv: 1st/30+
2U Maths: 8th/12
Physics: 2nd/9
Investigating Science: 3/50+
Biology: 5/50+

DheerChoudhury

HSC
Hey guys,

I go to a really low-ranked school (400ish) and was wondering if it's still possible for me to achieve a high ATAR (95-99.95) with some mediocre internal ranks.
Here's my ranks so far:
English Adv: 1st/30+
2U Maths: 8th/12
Physics: 2nd/9
Investigating Science: 3/50+
Biology: 5/50+
I don't have an answer to your question...but from a fellow low-ranked school...decent 👌

jimmysmith560

Le Phénix Trilingue
HSC
Uni Grad
Your ranks in English Advanced, Physics, Investigating Science and Biology are all pretty good and should be consistent with an ATAR goal in your desired range. Your only concerning rank is Mathematics Advanced. I'm not sure whether you sat/will sit your trial exams, or whether you will be sitting trial exams at all. If you will be sitting your trial exams, then improving your Mathematics Advanced rank will be your primary focus, and this can be done by revising your content as well as completing past exam papers, while addressing any mistakes you make along the way.

Considering your school rank alone, I think a more realistic goal to aim for would be an ATAR in the 90-95 range. However, keep in mind that the HSC exam also contributes 50% towards your final mark for a subject and does not depend on your school rank, but on your own performance in your HSC exams across all your subjects. Because of this, if you are able to ensure optimal external performance across all your subjects, I believe you will increase your chances of receiving an ATAR in your desired range. For an ATAR in the 95-99.95 range, you will need to perform to the best of your abilities, i.e. the more band 6's you can achieve, the more favourable your performance will be, resulting in a higher ATAR.

I hope this helps! :D

Ride The Lightning

HSC
Thanks, and yes I've already sat my trial exams. So it's still possible to some degree to get a high ATAR?

jimmysmith560

Le Phénix Trilingue
HSC
Uni Grad
Thanks, and yes I've already sat my trial exams. So it's still possible to some degree to get a high ATAR?
Depending on your results in your trial exams, your final ranks might change. This change might be important, particularly if it's a positive one (i.e. improved final ranks). If this ends up being the case, you'll be in a favourable position as you approach your HSC exams. Once you're at that point, you have to give the HSC exams your utmost in order to achieve great results, hopefully resulting in great final marks and consequently a high ATAR. So yes, it is definitely possible for you to receive a high ATAR.

jimmysmith560

Le Phénix Trilingue
HSC
Uni Grad
Thank you, you've been a great help. I'm just so anxious.
No worries, happy to help. Try to reduce your stress levels as much as possible, as stress is probably the last thing you want to worry about. Remember that as long as you've prepared to the best of your abilities for your exams and you've done your best, you will be satisfied with the results :D

sab13562

HSC
I heard that school rankings don't affect your ATAR. Hope that eases things up for you a bit.

specificagent1

HSC
I heard that school rankings don't affect your ATAR. Hope that eases things up for you a bit.
it doesnt but due the the fact that internal marks are moderated on external marks, higher ranking schools tend to do way better in external test and hence allow your internal marks to be higher too. Rather than the other way around commonly seen in lower ranking schools

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)