Am I right to think this (1 Viewer)

let aye = i

HSC
Say hypothetically Ur rank 15 for any subject and the 15th highest mark from Ur school is 83. And the mark U get on externals after alignment say is hypothetically 97. So the mark U actually get for the subject is 83 +97 /2 and this is the mark used to calculate atar.
So theoretically from a band 5 U can get boosted to a band 6
Hence the externals can push U up greatly if U perform very well or possibly not do much or push U down
Am I right to think this?

Last edited:

d1zzyohs

HSC
from what I understand; the 50% 50% of external and internal, is very, very misleading.

the mark that you get for internals is actually not even considered; only your rank is. Now; this rank, and the spaces between the ranks are used to 'squeeze' your external marks into the internal rank. In your hypothetical; the student might end up getting a band 6 or a high band 5; depending on the internal assessment by NESA.

carrotsss

HSC
Say hypothetically Ur rank 15 for any subject and the 15th highest mark from Ur school is 83. And the mark U get on externals say is hypothetically 97. So the mark U actually get for the subject is 83 +97 /2 and this is the mark used to calculate atar.
Not exactly. Here’s an explanation by the Sydney Morning Herald which explains it better than I could:
The process
NESA moderates your school assessment mark in this way:
  1. The rank order of students stays the same.
  2. After the HSC exam papers are marked:

• the top assessment mark is adjusted to equal the top HSC mark
  • the bottom assessment mark is adjusted to equal the bottom HSC mark
  • the mean of the assessment mark is adjusted to equal the mean of the HSC exam. The revised assessment mean is used to determine the remaining assessment marks
3. The relative gaps between each assessment mark within your school remain.
4. Additional checks and balances make sure no one is disadvantaged.
5. NESA calculates your HSC mark by adding 50 per cent of your moderated school assessment and 50 per cent of your exam mark.
Source: SMH HSC Study Guide
So theoretically from a band 5 U can get boosted to a band 6
Hence the externals can push U up greatly if U perform very well or possibly not do much or push U down
Am I right to think this?
However, this is still true, you are right to think that.

girlwithnoname

HSC
Hey!

I've replied to a post explaining this concept before! If you wanted to have a read of it you can see it here:

The snippet @carrotsss provided from the SMH is also a great simplified summary of how the ATAR is calculated. Additionally, there are great online resources from ATAR-focused educational institutions, like Matrix Education, or check out UAC guides. 😊

Run hard@thehsc

HSC
Also @let aye = i I believe you won't get the rank equivalent mark as such (if the 5th highest was 80 and you came fifth, there are chances of your mark being higher or lower than this since NESA uses the rank difference). Rather its more of a distribution and the relative difference between the highest/lowest mark in internal tasks. But usually, its the case that your rank equivalent mark and moderated mark are quite similar - correct if I am wrong !!!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)