All Mutation are Harmful (1 Viewer)

Bobcat

HSC
Seeing they didnt define they wanted a cell mutation....is there to be anychance that i get any marks for writting about like physical mutations? :D

flipsyde

Shutup!...that's why
HSC
I talked about both sides of the issue. Not ALL mutations are harmful, some are benificial in evolution etc etc and some are harmful as they can cause inherited diseases etc

Misturi

[Studying...]
HSC
I agreed and disagreed - after all it did say discuss so l agreed and disagreed.

I said some are harmful while others are not which benefit the organism in some way while others can be deadly and kill the organism e.g. cancer.

alien

HSC
i talked about how mutations are caused by mutagens, which can be carcinogenic or teratogenic (i can't spell it). so therefore they are harmful. should have discussed it though...

malkin86

HSC
I said being heterozygous for the CF gene gave a greater chance of surviving cholera.. they're codominant.

imperfek_anjel

well mutation results in variation in a species so not all are harmful, and in biodiversity, it is actually quite useful for a sudden change in environment or introduction of a disease etc. but mutations such as DNA mutations, eg. down syndrome, arent good, bcos it affects the organism working properly, hence the mutation isnt good. so theres two sides of the coin

elizabethmary

first of all a mutaition leading to a change in base, may just code for the same amino acid in which case it is not bad, it has had in fact no effect on the end produce
and a good mutation can occur.. like sicle cell anemia although it is typically ''bad'' its good for peopel who are in an area with a high susceptibility to malaria..as the red blood cells cant burs or something.. but no i cant think of any actual mutations that are good probably because they have been 'selected for' and are just in the population generally now

lukebennett

Happy Member
HSC
you could have talked about how they can be vital for the survival of species, by creating variation in a population. this is a good thing to do with mutations

queenie

I know what ur thinkin...
HSC
i basically said that either: mutations are either have a positive, negative or neutral effect. Eg: organisms that solely rely on mutation for variation are bacteria - that is beneficial for them (look at species such as golden staph). negative if it causes an organism to die, and neutral if the environment does not allow for the mutation to show...

it was only worth a couple of marks anway, i gave likea 7mark answer, but knowing me i prob missed out on a word that woulda gained me a mark so :S

notnownotever

PRINCE
HSC
i mentioned the type of mutations i.e subsitiution, inversion, deletion and wrong selection??/
then i mention about how they cause carcinagen... a mutatiuon that causes cancer and other shit

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)