Advice?!? (1 Viewer)

Maancis

HSC
I've started year 11 and have take on German Continuers, since in my junior years i was extremely good at it and i was confident in the subject, and even came first place one year. But in this first term, i've noticeably started to struggle. I admit, i was lazy this term but i know i understand the content except for when when it came to exams, i know i flunked listening and comprehension. I'm better at the stuff i can properly prepare for but i feel like the other parts will drag me down. AS well as this, i have about five classmates who are partially fluent in German since there is no background course! Is there a point in competing with them?

I know that it's just the start of year 11 but i don't know if it will be worth the effort to study hard and practise every day but then having to compete with kids around the state that are partially fluent in German! I need advice from anyone who's done a language, because i'm prepared to put in the effort, but is it better off doing ten units for the HSC?

Also, if you think its worth doing, please suggest some advice on how i should study or how i can work towards a band 6.

Thankyou:(

Shuuya

HSC
I was in the same position with Japanese. It used to be my best subject, but then I started losing confidence because I was losing a lot more marks than I was used to losing, and the content became harder. However, I definitely don't regret continuing :)

I'm a little biased towards studying languages, but I think that it would be a good idea to continue. It's been a pretty rewarding experience for me, even though the exams (especially speaking) can be pretty daunting. If you put in the effort, I'm sure you'll be rewarded :)

I'm doing 10 units for HSC, but I know others that are doing more units and seem to be doing fine. So in the end, it's up to you and how dedicated you are to the subjects you want to do.

I think the way to do well in languages is to put in consistent effort, because the skills build upon each other. Especially for speaking, it would be a good idea to practice throughout the year, as opposed to a week before exams, because it can help build confidence. I've also found that practicing writing under exam conditions is helpful.

All the best! :D

Maancis

HSC
I was in the same position with Japanese. It used to be my best subject, but then I started losing confidence because I was losing a lot more marks than I was used to losing, and the content became harder. However, I definitely don't regret continuing :)

I'm a little biased towards studying languages, but I think that it would be a good idea to continue. It's been a pretty rewarding experience for me, even though the exams (especially speaking) can be pretty daunting. If you put in the effort, I'm sure you'll be rewarded :)

I'm doing 10 units for HSC, but I know others that are doing more units and seem to be doing fine. So in the end, it's up to you and how dedicated you are to the subjects you want to do.

I think the way to do well in languages is to put in consistent effort, because the skills build upon each other. Especially for speaking, it would be a good idea to practice throughout the year, as opposed to a week before exams, because it can help build confidence. I've also found that practicing writing under exam conditions is helpful.

All the best! :D
Thankyou so much, i'll probably go ahead with German and i'll put in all my effort. I guess if i still don't do well, i can decide at the end of the year if i don't want to do it. Thanks for the advice :)

Swaussie

HSC
Hey!

I would definitely go ahead and continue with German!
Just because others are really good in it too, does not mean that is a reason to stop, if anything its great because you can exchange notes and have german conversations with each other. :)

I am doing 12 Units and german is a nice change from all the sciences and maths. I agree that consistency is key. I know one thing that has helped me with languages is to write a dairy in that language. Sounds silly i know, but it gives practise every day and you usually cover all the topics!
Watching movies in german is a little break from the hard study and does test your understanding. So if you watch a movie next time, do so in german!

Oh and pen pals are also always a nifty little thing :)

Viel Glück!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)