Accepting presents, gifts, invitations from Parents (1 Viewer)

davidgoes4wce

HSC
N/A
Questions for tutors out there, do you accept presents, gifts , invites to events, from parents that you tutor?

Must admit I have had some wonderful gifts in my time as tutor. One family feeds me everytime I tutor their son (x 3 times a week), one family provides a cup of hot green tea, another family provides me a with a cookie and tea. Probably the best meal I had in my time with a particular family was they feed me some Japanese sushi.

I also have been invited out to the Captain Cook Hotel and the meals there are top notch. I also tutored a family that fed me with 'pho' and their homemade chicken curry.

I've also had some interesting gifts along the way. e.g wine, chocolates, soap , cakes & bread just to name a few.

But my lesson from here on in, is I wont accept anymore invites to events or dinner functions. Feel like if you get 'too' close to the family, they may figure your personality and behaviour too much. As a tutor you are expected to be a professional and 'not' to be friendly and get 'too' close to the family. As a tutor, I don't want a family to figure out my personality too much, we are there to teach, not to be 'friendly' and sociable.

Thoughts? Opinions? Would be interested to get the stories of other tutors out there?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)