55 Minutes Late (1 Viewer)

timmay05

HSC
Well the four of us on laptops for the exam at my school arrived 1.5 hrs early to get them scanned. No one showed up. When they finally let us in the school had said up computers. We all showed them our provisions note saying that we could choose to supply our own. The person scanning them wasn't happy with one of the guys. So rang the board of studies, who told him that if the school supplied a pc it had to be used. I reckon they just said that as it was already 10 mins late by that stage. Anyway we had removed the PCs from the desks at that stage, so we spent the next 45 mins outside waiting to be allowed back in to start the exam. Not the best way to start exams.

Kwayera

Passive-aggressive Mod
HSC
Amen. I mean, I have RSI in my right hand. AND YET I STILL WRITE WITH IT.

MajinR

Procrastination Master
HSC
why do so many people whine....

if you have really bad handwriting, you can apply for a laptop which is a special provision...i couldve got one if i wanted but i chose to do it by hand...

bad luck on the 55 mins, that would suck :S

Chocobo687

HSC
Some people with special provisions cannot write correctly, or struggle, and to give them a fair chance they are allowed to use a computer.

I personally feel that sometimes yeah, its fair, others I think its not.

Althought I am not disabled, I know I could write four fold on a computer what I hand write.

I am not sure if there are any other conditions put on the privisional individuals.

I spose if there is no other way for them to sit their exams, then they have little choice, so its all fair in my book.

timmay05

HSC
I agree with some people whinging. I mean I think it is wrong that people who can type at even 125% of their writing speed are allowed on a laptop. I am only slightly faster... 10% faster maximum.

Reason for me being on the laptop. Never learnt to hold a pen! I tried getting intervention in year 8 and it got me nowhere. I hold a pen with 3 hyperextended fingers on the pen, 1 hyperextended finger under them for support, and with my thumb hyperextended. It becomes physically impossible to hold it for more than 5 minutes.

I mean, sure,I can do it by hand, I did an accelerated subject last year by hand, but it was hard. The provisions are available if you need them. I got them because 3 heads of department recommended that I should.

breesy

Personally, while I can write 30 words per minute, i can type close to 100. In a subject such as english where words outweigh time enormously, you can see how this would be a large a unfair advantage. While special provisions is necessary, your school should have, rather than providing a laptop, provided you with a supervised scribe as most schools do.

Gummy_bear

HSC
Well, perhaps for some people their writing is illedgable. i know mine used to be, so i had to use a laptop, luckily it got better. But, really, for those who cant write properly, its not an unfiar advantage, it WOULD be if they had to write like everyone else.
People who use laptops have to be assessed on how well/badly they can write, and people can asses of they are cheating or not.
I dont thinks its fair that you say things about using laptops when you dont know the situation. For all you know, some of these people could have no thumbs! i mean, come on..
I know someone who doesnt have an index finger on his writing hand..dunno how he lost it, but he has to use a laptop for all classes and exams. if he had to write, he would be writing...2 words a minute or somthing.

All im saying is just hear the situation b4 you say how unfair it is.

candybanana

i am a special provisions student, i use a writer for all of my exams. for my trials i attempted to use a laptop and found that that was a complete disaster, it was so hard especially when your use to writing. its not always easy to find a person to write for you and the board of studies does not supply the student with one. so if using a laptop helps these guys, then thats great

mr_brightside

frakfrakfrakcackmackshack
HSC
Gummy_bear said:
People who use laptops have to be assessed on how well/badly they can write, and people can asses of they are cheating or not.
well having proper handwriting isnt a hard skill to learn...

cheating wouldnt be an issue..its how fast they can type...i mean this post would have taken me three or four times longer to hand write...

breesy

Well, maybe the BOS should supply a scribe for these students. What are the 'special provisions' for a student without any fingers or thumbs, they cannot use a laptop, whereas a 'less' disabled student gets to use a laptop (regardless of their typing proficiency), and an even 'less' disabled student is back to scribing thats a little subjective...

Last edited:

breesy

Tune in or shut up nwatts, no ones arguing that they shouldn't have special provisions but there are other more appropriate alternatives. A laptop is not one of them.

mr_brightside

frakfrakfrakcackmackshack
HSC
nwatts said:
To all those people complaining: fuck you.

There are a lot of people out there with very legitimate problems with their hands, which either slows their handwriting speed to an absolute standstill, or makes their writing completely illegible. Typing gives them the ability to express themselves to the same extent as those with normal hands. On top of that, because of their impaired handwriting ability, they'll type slower than most people anyway.

So yeah. Shut up.
breesy said:
Well, maybe the BOS should supply a scribe for these students. What are the 'special provisions' for a student without any fingers or thumbs, they cannot use a laptop, whereas a 'less' disabled student gets to use a laptop (regardless of their typing proficiency), and an even 'less' disabled student is back to scribing thats a little subjective...
im with breesy...anyone with any sort of special provisions should have a scribe...ie. no computers
otherwise its simply not fair...

arooshika...

HSC
i was about to go on special provisions but they could just read my handwriting because i practiced for one whole year. anyways i dont like typing in exam situations because i cant think will i type but can think while i write.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)