?? (1 Viewer)

YourLocalDumbAss

HSC
N/A
066D79BF-974C-4691-8872-F0CF9634807F.jpeg
What do they mean by draw a diagram of a micelle? I have not seen this anyway in the textbooks I have read.

Source: 2020 PEM Chemistry Paper

5uckerberg

HSC
Oh, what is this? The resemblance of saponification. I think we can bring up a few ideas like the head of a negative charge is hydrophilic and as such interacts with the positive charges from the outside while the tail of the negative charge is hydrophobic and as such will interact with the grease and then splits up the grease from dirty dishes. I am just throwing stuff up from the old syllabus. If someone better than me could answer that question I will be glad.

jimmysmith560

Le Phénix Trilingue
HSC
Uni Grad
The sodium salts of long chain fatty acids consist of two parts: a non-polar hydrophobic ‘tail’ consisting of fatty acids; and a polar, hydrophilic, charged ‘head’ consisting of the sodium salt of the alkanoic acid, as shown below.

1635130830467.png

A micelle forms when sodium salts assemble so that the long hydrophobic tails all point inwards and the polar heads all sit on the outside of the micelle.

1635130854596.png

The hydrophobic tails embed themselves in the grease. The hydrophilic heads are attracted to the water and lift the grease off the dirty dishes to reform a micelle that then remains suspended in water.

1635130878928.png

An important thing to consider is that while the question requires a diagram of only a single micelle, diagrams of micelle formation or action such as those above may help to develop high-quality responses.

Regarding the syllabus, as Life'sHard mentioned, this is indeed part of the syllabus, Module 7: Organic Chemistry to be precise.

I hope this helps! :D

Life'sHard

HSC
Uni Grad
The sodium salts of long chain fatty acids consist of two parts: a non-polar hydrophobic ‘tail’ consisting of fatty acids; and a polar, hydrophilic, charged ‘head’ consisting of the sodium salt of the alkanoic acid, as shown below.

View attachment 32934

A micelle forms when sodium salts assemble so that the long hydrophobic tails all point inwards and the polar heads all sit on the outside of the micelle.

View attachment 32935

The hydrophobic tails embed themselves in the grease. The hydrophilic heads are attracted to the water and lift the grease off the dirty dishes to reform a micelle that then remains suspended in water.

View attachment 32936

An important thing to consider is that while the question requires a diagram of only a single micelle, diagrams of micelle formation or action such as those above may help to develop high-quality responses.

Regarding the syllabus, as Life'sHard mentioned, this is indeed part of the syllabus, Module 7: Organic Chemistry to be precise.

I hope this helps! :D
Jimmy jimmy jimmy. Where do you keep finding these solutions? What's your secret lol?

YourLocalDumbAss

HSC
N/A
@YourLocalDumbAss i'm very confused. It says HSC 2024 and you were just asking about investigating science but now you're doing year 12 chem?
I share this account with an older sibling. As much of you must be thinking that we should make separate account, I can’t be bothered making a whole new account and starting from scratch, so I remain on this account with my older sister till she finishes the HSC.

jimmysmith560

Le Phénix Trilingue
HSC
Uni Grad
does copy right apply to educational use? 🤔Any lawyers here on BOS?
While the use of trial HSC exam papers is indeed for educational purposes, papers that are protected by copyright (including CSSA, Independent and others, such as PEM) cannot be shared on here for 2 reasons:
  • It is against the rules of this forum.
  • Such papers must be purhcased by schools/individuals that wish to use them, unlike those produced by individual schools, which can be freely shared/accessed.
This also means that you are not to request and/or share copyrighted material (this also applies to textbooks). However, you are allowed to have discussions about the papers/textbooks. :)

YourLocalDumbAss

HSC
N/A
While the use of trial HSC exam papers is indeed for educational purposes, papers that are protected by copyright (including CSSA, Independent and others, such as PEM) cannot be shared on here for 2 reasons:
  • It is against the rules of this forum.
  • Such papers must be purhcased by schools/individuals that wish to use them, unlike those produced by individual schools, which can be freely shared/accessed.
This also means that you are not to request and/or share copyrighted material (this also applies to textbooks). However, you are allowed to have discussions about the papers/textbooks. :)
That’s why I’m seeing resources that get deleted when uploaded, but lucky I download them before the copyright strikes and the resource is deleted. Thanks for the information Jimmy.

jimmysmith560

Le Phénix Trilingue
HSC
Uni Grad
That’s why I’m seeing resources that get deleted when uploaded, but lucky I download them before the copyright strikes and the resource is deleted. Thanks for the information Jimmy.
No worries. Going forward, you are encouraged to report such material to us so that we can take appropriate action. :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)