2UNIT paper apparently needed 3UNIT skills!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (1 Viewer)

micky25

HSC
It was on the radio - there is controversy as many people think that for the last three questions, 3unit skills were needed.... which means hopefully we will all get scaled up!

krabby_me

Footy Fan (go cats)
HSC
I do 3 unit, and dont believe that 3 unit skills were needed. Yes, 3 unit people do harder applications of 2 unit, but if u are good at 2 unit you should have been doing those harder applications.
It is possible that 3 unit knowledge could have helped, but there would also have been ways that a 2 unit student couldve done them.

Jago

el oh el donkaments
HSC
apart from q10 a, which only LOOKED like a 3u question, which parts in particular was there controversy?

TimmyDD

HSC
10a) was definetly NOT a 3-unit question. It was simple co-ordinate geometry if you looked close enough. The answer fell out if you took your time and realised exactly was the q was asking you to do. Although the test may have been hard there was absolutely no need for 3-unit skills...

console

math

YEA UR RITE!!...everyone if u have de text book "maths in focus" (3U) one extension 1 past paper has a question similar to ques 8... on pg 497
Compare that 3U question to this 2U question. both are completely diff although rather similar.

Check it out!!....i wouldnt be surprised if they remodified the question...and that didnt require NO 3 unit skills....u jus had 2 use pythagoras n substitute...dats all...

And for the parabola, i fink if u knew that (a-b) = sqrt(a+b) - 4ab....ah well stuffed dat up!

Last edited:

roxy_chick

HSC
console said:
YEA UR RITE!!...everyone if u have de text book "maths in focus" (3U) one extension 1 past paper has a question similar to ques 8... on pg 497

Check it out!!....i wouldnt be surprised if they remodified the question

and i fink the parabola required parametric representations of the parabola did it?
Im pretty sure that the maths in focus text book has 2unit in it as well...cos i think that it was the text book that we used for both 2unit and 3unit....But I might be wrong...

r.haidar

not crusin til schoolies!
HSC
roxy_chick said:
Im pretty sure that the maths in focus text book has 2unit in it as well...cos i think that it was the text book that we used for both 2unit and 3unit....But I might be wrong...

yah ur rite. we used this book... and to the thread starter... let it go we have established it was a hard exam but 3u skills were not needed... just alot of study which alot of people clearly didnt do. let it go

boasboy

MUSTARD*
HSC
i believe 3u students would have had much more of an advantage compared with the past papers... the level of application was a lot harder and i'm feeling really sorry for the 2u people.. even tho i stuffed up myself.

TimmyDD

HSC
of course 3 unit people are going to have an advantage over the 2 unit people...BUT ISNT THAT GOING TO BE THE SAME WITH ANY EXAM???? Just because this may have been a lil bit harder does not mean that that 3 unit students have a head start...its expected for 3unit students to do better anywayz...thats why they do 3 unit!!!!!!

tennille

HSC
Apart from the other hard questions many people seem to be worried about, the Board of Studies has to make question 10 difficult in order to separate the people who are capable of doing such questions with those who have difficulty. This determines who gets a band 6 and all. The same happens with uni maths exams. There is no point in making question 10 easy because everyone may end up with similar marks and consequently would be hard to differentiate between the band 6s, 5s, etc.

Captain pi

HSC
When the Board publishes its marking guidelines and notes from the marking centre, the "student outcome":)chainsaw: ) that was tested to that particular subquestion will be written next to the subquestion. The Examination Committee are obliged to do this to ensure that a 2U student could, feasibly, get 100% in the paper.

Even so, there was nothing in the paper that required 3U knowledge. Even if there were some skills that were perhaps outside the syllabus, we should be thankful that the Board is producing examinations with a bit of creativity.

Would you prefer it if we merely were given a set of 1000 questions to memorize for those would be the only questions the exam committee could set?

Mathematics is one of the few HSC examinations that have (some) creativity in their composition. They're not the most creative; but at least they're not banally predictable.

the_pun

HSC
it definitely had no 3unit stuff in it - as u r all saying it was just harder 2unit applications - 10a) just used all distance formulas and stuff like that, no 3unit skills...and i think that we were lucky this yr to get an easier q10 than past years, particularly part a)

TimmyDD

HSC
plus its about time 3 unit students started to get rewarded for taking on the harder subject rather than just via scaling. Maths trains ur ability to think...ur ability to problem solve...I think that was exactly what this paper was. Conceptually it may have been hard...but it sure rewarded those who can think.

franga

HSC
The 2 unit test was not that hard. i do 2 unit not three unit and did not much of it hard. there is an article in the 26th of october telegraph sayin how the test needed three unit skills for questions 8 9 and 10.

for the record question 8 only needed pythagorous's theroem, volume of a cylinder formula and the ability to differentiate. now if thats 3 unit then i shoulda been sittin a three unit test in year 9.

Q9. The question on the particcles. if youd done past papers there is at least one of these questions in everyone. even trials. so this was not hard at all. all you had to do was integrate. b) just required you to use the sine rule a few times and then use trig identities and shit to get it as 6sec(theoter)than(theoter).

ps. cant spell theoter.

Q10.a0 was simply using distance formula with alpha and beta. they made it easier for you by factorising it for you in a)ii). and then at the end just differentiate and prove its a maximum at those points.

b) was simply probability with a twist. the twist being it was on a graph. which does mean shit cause the graph goes to one and wat does probability go to??? thats right ONE.

This test was not of three unit standard. and if youd studied, and if you couldnt get the questions the bad luck if ya tried ya best then who cares. im not rubbin it in by sayin that by the way. and the bloke sayin it was a long test. i had an hour to do question 10 and ive done the exact same work load as you. i dont do three unit. so dont blame your failure of time management on the test.

peace out.

switchblade87

HSC
r.haidar said:
let it go we have established it was a hard exam but 3u skills were not needed... just alot of study which alot of people clearly didnt do. let it go
You can't make that assumption about everyone, I for one did a shit load of study, and looking at people's posted solutions, am looking to get 30%.

It was a hard test, but I don't think 3U would have been required. None of the textbooks/study guides I have have questions of that difficulty in them, so hence I was unprepared. I guess you just have to expect the unexpected.

I just have to face now that I will gain a shit UAI, and I guess life goes on.

Meads

Drummer Boy
HSC
Honestly get the hell over it! At this rate there is going to be mass suicide due to Mathematics failure! It was hard, lots of people did shit, from Mathematics bludgers to Ext 1 arrogant fucks. Who cares, move on, focus on making up for poor marks.

Mellonie

HSC
micky25 said:
It was on the radio - there is controversy as many people think that for the last three questions, 3unit skills were needed.... which means hopefully we will all get scaled up!

SO agreed,
i do 3 unit, n i definately believed this to be true. I saw the graph we had to draw 2-2cos2t in my 3unit JONES N COUCHMAN! i was like uno dambn. Then i was doing the past hsc extension 3unit paper, n their were like similar question in 2 unit this year. I was kicking my self i hadnt done 3 unit prepertion,before i would've done better in the 2 unit exam then

ITS UNfair for 2 unit ppl

sikeveo

back after sem2
HSC
give it a break. If u did bad, its your own fault. Stop blaming the board of studies.

Srixon

HSC
Sikeveo just pipe down u dont have to read it if you dont want to and if u have a probalem just piss off

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)