Significant Factors Influencing the Health of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander People
|BikiCrumbs: Significant Fa…Islander People|
- The health of Indigenous people is two to three times worse than the rest of the population. Their life expectancy at birth is 20 years lower.
- Many Aboriginals also live in remote areas of Australia which may magnify their health problems.
Australia's Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples continue to experience much poorer health than the general Australian population-
- Incomplete identification of inequity has lead to an underestimation of the difference in health between Indigenous and other Australians.
- 'Health' to Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples involves all the dimensions of health including cultural well being and the health and well being of others in the family and community.
- The land is central to cultural and family relationships.
- Health promotion that is to be effective and relevant to the Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander population accepts that access to and care of traditional lands is a necessary component of the plan.
- The key to better health for Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples is in their own perspective of health -self-determination, re-connection with their land (spiritual health), better education, better housing and support for their cultural desires.
- This page is a stub and is incomplete.
- Why not add to it? Don't be intimidated - we welcome all contributions!