Nature of the problem
- Definition: a result caused by external violence
- Includes: MVA, suicide, drowning, poisonings, sport injuries
- Leading cause of death for 1-44 year olds, 6% of all deaths
- MVA = 30% of injury deaths but declining (education, road management, car safety)
- Mortality rates down
- Rural and remote people
- Suicide: unemployment, illicit drug use, depression
- MVA: complacency, negative social norms
- Child accidents: lack of supervision, unsafe environment
- Suicide: lifestyle patterns of young people, unemployment
- MVA: media shock tactics
- Child accidents: unsupervised because mothers at work more
Groups at risk
- Males 15-24
- Young children, the elderly
- Those in rural/remote locations
Why is Injury a NHPA?
AIHW outlines here why injury is a NHPA.
Health Insite: Injuries and injury prevention
HSC Online: Road and Traffic Related Injuries
- This page is a stub and is incomplete.
- Why not add to it? Don't be intimidated - we welcome all contributions!