What is a Wiki?
A wiki is a collaborative site where absolutely anyone can contribute and share information. The biggest and most popular wiki of all is Wikipedia, which is where all the wiki stuff began. Basically, you can edit any of the information, add something new, and of course search for information, if that's all you're here for.
How do I edit an article?
That's simple. You have to be a member of the Bored of Studies communities. Then all you need to is log in, find the page you want to edit, and then click the "edit" tab at the top of the article.
How do I begin a new article?
There are several ways to do this. You can
- Find a link in an existing article that is in red text. This will take you to a page saying "This page does not yet exist!" From there, you can create the article.
- If the article you want to add is a subsection of a wider area, a good way to start it is to create a link with the name of your article on the more general page. Save it, and then click the link.
- To make the page without linking, add the link to an existing article, then click "Preview" instead of "Save". Follow the link from the preview, and don't keep the changes on the original article.
What's all this formatting stuff?
There is a special, but pretty simple format that's used for wiki articles. A good guide to this can be found at Wikipedia. There are also some basic contribution guidelines in the Biki. It's possible to figure out how it works quite well just by looking at the edit page alongside the article.
- This page is a stub and is incomplete.
- Why not add to it? Don't be intimidated - we welcome all contributions!
If you have what you think might be a common question not yet here, feel free to add it and a kindly passer-by might answer it for you!